Help needed setting up 4-link - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help needed setting up 4-link

I am needing some help setup a 4 link on my 51 ford car i was wondering if anyone on here has done a 4 link, when setting this up should i put the springs in place and measure the distance from the axle to the front of the springs? then use that same location as a mounting spot for the 4 link? i know i just need to do it to make sure everything is square but i just want to make sure when i lower the car that the rear end does not shift one way real far and give the wheels a akward look in the wheel well, Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,086 Times in 898 Posts
Are you planning a 4-link with leaf springs? If so, are you planning on using a slider arrangement on the leafs?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

no i forgot to mention i am doing a 4 link to bag it, i want to be able to lay frame, i know i have to C notch the frame but im just trying to get the general setup of the frame
Old 04-03-2009, 03:49 PM

Frame set-up on 4 link rear end

From your post I gathered that you are planning on having this subframe idea set-up to drag the frame on the ground at the low ride position..

The important thing to remember when doing this is that center pivot point on a 4link is not the axle center or the center of the wheel, but the center pivot point on them is the point where the lower trailing arm attaches to the rear frame. The best way to understand the way the wheel will be positioned into the wheel opening at different heights is to use a homemade guage. The gauge should be a length of anything (length of wood, or steel) that is indexed for the mount at the frame and the center of the rear axle. Install the gauge over the mounting bolt for the trailing arm at the point where it mounts onto the frame..... The idea here is to make this gauge act as a compass would, to swing the arc, as you simulate the action of the wheel going up and down in the opening. Doing this will demonstrate that as the wheel travels up and down in the wheel opening, it also moves front and back in the opening.

Understanding these dynamics will make the job turn out much better. Of course with these extreme modifications a perfect positioning will be difficult at every ride height, but work with the idea of a best case scenario to reach your goal.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Are you buying a 4 link or a 4 bar, (when the terms are used correctly, they are different ), or making your own?

If you are using a 4 link, with unequal length bars, the approximate center point of the axle swing is at an imaginary point forward of the bars, where an imaginary line drawn through the center of the pivot points converge, and where the axle winds up at any point in is arc it is very dependent on the length and position of the bars in the brackets...(4 links have axle and frame brackets with multiple holes, which allow you to move the rod ends up or down on the brackets to change the anti squat characteristics of you car on launch)

If you are using a set of equal length parallel 4 bars, the pivot position of the rod ends is fixed at the axle and frame, and the axle swings in an arc centered on the midpoint between the upper and lower forward pivot points..it creates a parallelogram as it swings up and down

Either way, it is best to mock up the suspension you are using with the axle and wheels to see where the wheel looks best at the ride height you like. Tack weld the stuff together and jack the car, (or axle), up and down to see where things wind up. If you can, set the bars so they angle down towards the back at ride height... that will give a better ride, and minimize the distance the axle moves forward as it travels upwards. A good rule of thumb is to aim them at the centerline of the crankshaft, at the back of the motor..

If you are making your own bars, the longer the length, the less the axle will move forward when it moves up.

I don't know what year car you are working on, but most post WWII fender openings are not exactly round, so you can cheat some on location. Pre war stuff is really easy to see a wheel in the wrong place. I usually mock up the wheel in the center of the wheel opening at ride height, when it's dropped the tire is up inside of the wheel opening and it is harder to see the lack of concentricity between the wheel and opening.

That's how I do that stuff, it takes longer but WYSIWYG when you are done.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 04-03-2009, 06:37 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

ive got an uncovered 4 link custom built and narrowed 9" rear setup that was on the 69 fairlane out here i can takepics of it

if you want pics to see how its done, to give you ideas, etc

Last edited by fast68; 04-03-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
ive got an uncovered 4 link custom built and narrowed 9" rear setup that was on the 69 fairlane out here i can takepics of it

if you want pics to see how its done, to give you ideas, etc

yes please

and i bought a universal triangulated 4 link kit from sucide doors, i am getting alot of ideas so keep them coming
Old 04-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

any of those pictures?? i am getting stuff laid out so i can try and figure my angles of everything to see how i can get it set up
Old 04-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

If your looking at dropping it on the ground,You will be better off with the 4 bar set up.. And your universal triangulated 4 link kit..Your talking about.Is really a triangulated 4 bar.Don't know why they call it a universal triangulated 4 link kit. Like Mikey said they are not the same...
Old 04-10-2009, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

http://www.suicidedoors.com/4-link-k...ted-4-link-kit this is the kit i got
Old 04-10-2009, 10:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by low50s

What it really is..Is a triangulated 4 bar..The bar's on a 4 link is adjustable for per load.And they are not the same length.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

This is a ''REAL'' four link....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-2185.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	37540  
Old 04-10-2009, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

well i guess i learn something new every day, doing the setup on this isnt my strong point, im more of a paint and body guy, but i guess i got to learn because im at that point, im just trying to get it setup correct for ride height
Old 04-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

Even some of the people that are selling them,Don't know there is a difference.Just trying to help you understand what you really have.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

now can you help me figure out what i need to go about doing to get this set up ??

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.