Help New HVLP whats this screw do???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2005, 07:52 AM

Last journal entry: Ontario Camaro Nationals 2008
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help New HVLP whats this screw do????

I have always used a standard high pressure cup gun in the past and recently I purchased a HVLP gravity feed gun. I have sprayed primer with this gun so far and it worked great but I am not sure if I am adjusting it properly.

The Gun is a G.R.I.P. product and it seems to have an extra adjusting screw on it that I don't know what to do with. First of all the basics. The gun has a standard set up for material flow where you turn the screw in and out and that adjusts how much material flows through the tip. It also has a dial on the side which is quite nice to adjust the width of the fan. It has an air pressure regulator attached to the bottom of the handle that you can adjust the pressure that goes into the gun. BUT it also has a small adjusting screw right beside the air supply fitting that I don't understand the purpose of.

If you adjust this screw in all the way it will shut the air supply to the gun right down. So thus far I have had it wide open and adjusted the air supply to the gun with the regulator. What is this thing for??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2005, 10:41 AM

I believe that screw adjusts the pressure of the air coming out of the gun. I have one on one of my guns as well. I just turned it until I had full pressure and went on with the spraying.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

The only use I could see for this is if you used a special test cap with air pressure guage. You would have no regulator (to rob CFM) and adjust that knob to get the desired pressure at the cap. You would then remove that cap, reinstall the regular cap and go about painting.

Brian
Old 04-17-2005, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

Had one of those screw's on my IWATA gun that I purchased while station in Japan(early 80's). I would set the pressure at the requlator, allow for pressure drop at gun....Then I would use the screw to make small final pressure adjustments based on my test shots. Not an expert here, but the ole educate...then trial and error type....but it worked for me.
Blaster
Old 04-17-2005, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

Yeah I was thinking it might be for fine adjustments too. But that would be a major pain if you had to change caps each time to check the pressure. Is it possible that it would interact with the requlator on the inlet of the gun???
Old 04-17-2005, 12:58 PM

Last photo:

I never changed any cap's. (remember I am a self taught trial by error type)I always shoot a test pattern, based on that test shot I will make adjustments to the SCREW, requlator output pressure,or fluid as required. I do feel the the SCREW is for making slight pressure adjustment at the gun. ie If the pattern makes me think there is to air pressure, I would use the screw to dial down the pressure(how much psi I don't know), I let the test pattern tell me. Hope this helps....Blaster
Old 04-17-2005, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

That's just a built in regulator, some of my guns have them as well. I use my larger guns with the valve screw wide open and use a guaged regulator at the air inlet. On my detail guns I use the built in regulator screw and attach the line directly to the gun-provides a little more mobility on these smaller guns without a guaged regulator attached to the handle. Bob
Old 04-17-2005, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Guys

So I will leave it dialed all the way out and use the regulator atached to the inlet on the gun to regulate the air pressure.

Thanks Again
Ric
Old 04-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

You got it. Run it wide open.
They are more of a PIA that anything,especially if it turns easy and you accidentally "adjust" it while in the heat of battle.
I use mine on the big gun's to reduce the air volume down when shooting small spot's/parts during a session. That way I don't have to grab the touch up gun and continue on with the project.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.