Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help! Newbie first paintjob, acrylic enamel issues
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help! Newbie first paintjob, acrylic enamel issues

Ok so I'm doing my first paintjob on an '84 S-10 before I head off to college. It's a budget job but I want it to look decent.

I stripped it down to metal and did a bit of body work, then coated it with urethane 2k primer and then I worked the primer surface down to a 600 grit surface.

Then I decided to do some test shooting on my fiberglass rollpan to get a feel for what the paint is going to do. Same prep work on the rollpan. The paint is PPG Acrylic Enamel in gloss black color.

SO, I go to and shoot it on and the thing is just a straight orange peel mess. Is it normal to be so uneven on the first shoot? I have never shot auto paint before so I had NO idea what to expect but I thought it was supposed to shoot on smoothe. It's very uniform of orange peel (high/low spots) it's not a reaction or anything from the surface.

Then I have been reading about final detail work of painting involving polishing or wet-sanding from 1000-2000grit sandpaper after the paint is cured. But is this for other types of paints or does it work for acrylic enamel? Are my results normal and smooth-able from final detailing or is something wrong somewhere?

Here are pics. The one looks worse for some reason, might have been my mistake on the coating. The other one I hit the coat pretty heavy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	4809
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	13246   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	4374
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	13247