Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help! Newbie first paintjob, acrylic enamel issues
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 07:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Kenseth, you have been such a big help so far thank you for your patience.

I did a little more experimenting today and seem to be making a little progress. It seems to be shooting a little smoother with the air pressure up and I have been over-reducing it as well.

I guess maybe I just don't know what phases should look like what. On the spec sheet it says recommended 3 coats and each coat can be shot after 5-10 minutes of drying time. Now, my issue is that I guess I really don't know what each coat should look like.

I'm starting to realize that it doesn't really get a good glossy smoothish texture until you get a real thick layering of it on there. Maybe I just need to get 3 good solid coats on there before it will smoothe out? Shoot I shoot a rough base coat then 2nd coat kind of medium then 3rd on to smoothe it out, or do I lay thick coats every time?

I'm such a newbie to this.

The other issue is I seem to be getting overspray dust on other parts of the hood while I am working across it and I think this is severly affecting when I get to that part. When I look at the hood in the light, it just doesn't look uniform throughout, it looks rough in some spots and smoother in others.

I will take some pics in a bit after it dries for a little visual to go by.