Help! Newbie first paintjob, acrylic enamel issues - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 04:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nice job, and way to hang in there. Thanks for updating, I am sure others, as well as I like to hear how things turned out, and if the person asking questions was helped. 2 stroke, I don't think most painters are ever totally satisfyed with their work. They will always pick out that one little flaw they got that nobody else even notices.
There are many potential problems that can bite you when painting, but least once you have some experience most of the times you can adjust, do stuff to minimize the problem, or at least have an idea what the heck happened. Next time should go better for you with the knowledge you gained. Base clear should be a little easier also That single stage ae doesn't have the life expectancy of a good quality base clear system, but if taken care of and protected it should last many years for you. I don't know how much you have in the paint job, but even with a few mess ups and repainting you should come out ahead, discounting getting all the equiptment needed. Plus you never know what you would of got if you had brought it somewhere. Shops have overhead and schedules to keep. Yeah that wetsanding and buffing is plenty of work, just like the rest of it. I split the last buff over a few days I had enough areas that needed fixing. Again, nice job. . Now be prepared for family, friends and some of those kidies in college to be bugging you to paint their cars, What did you end up doing as far as your air setup? and did it perform okay. I am usually pretty good on not having moisture in my lines with my cheap setup, but painting in the real humid weather on the last car, was fighting a bit with water from the line, and kept draining the trap.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2006, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

KNanthrup - definitely want to say I appreciate you taking the time to post all of this and really admire your diligence. I hope to paint my first ride late next year or early the following year (acquiring parts, supplies, tools, etc. now), and hopefully your experience will help!
Old 08-26-2006, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroketurbo
It looks fantastic to me. Are you happy with it ? what happened to the dry spots ? The only thing I see wrong is your tail pipes are skewed to the right
Thanks a lot. I am actually very happy with it. I tell you what, the biggest part of the process that saved the look of my paint (because of all the flaws from imperfect variables) was the wetsanding/color sanding process. Basically all that dust and crap that layed over the top of my paint came right out with some 2000 grit. In areas where the orange peel got pretty bad I went through with 1500 then followed with 2000. My paint was still pretty soft so it actually cut out the peel pretty quickly and easily. The biggest pain was that pretty much the whole truck has issues with dust in it, so I had to go over the entire truck wetsanding then compounding with a fairly aggressive compound, then following with a lighter cleaner/polish to smoothe out the heavy compounds marks. All in all a pretty straight-forward process, just took some time.

So, all of that overspray that I was worried about in the first place didn't even matter, it cleaned right off very easily. The overspray from my spray patterns cleaned off with very light 2000grit sanding... now if I had known this before I wouldn't have stressed out about it so much!

I am aware that my tailpipes are uneven, my exhaust isn't anywhere near finished (hanging by wires and clamps) but I need it stuck on there somehow to keep the neighbors and police happy

So all in all it's not perfect... the paint itself still has some light swirls and marks in it which I will be taking out later once I get a real orbital D/A. The hardest part to finish will be getting the remaining runs out. Unfortunately I have a handful of them and some of them are in real nasty places (curved areas, trim areas) but I bought a meguiars unigrit block which will hopefully make that work a little easier.

Thanks again for everyones help. I will try to get some more pictures up soon.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenseth17
Nice job, and way to hang in there. Thanks for updating, I am sure others, as well as I like to hear how things turned out, and if the person asking questions was helped. 2 stroke, I don't think most painters are ever totally satisfyed with their work. They will always pick out that one little flaw they got that nobody else even notices.
There are many potential problems that can bite you when painting, but least once you have some experience most of the times you can adjust, do stuff to minimize the problem, or at least have an idea what the heck happened. Next time should go better for you with the knowledge you gained. Base clear should be a little easier also That single stage ae doesn't have the life expectancy of a good quality base clear system, but if taken care of and protected it should last many years for you. I don't know how much you have in the paint job, but even with a few mess ups and repainting you should come out ahead, discounting getting all the equiptment needed. Plus you never know what you would of got if you had brought it somewhere. Shops have overhead and schedules to keep. Yeah that wetsanding and buffing is plenty of work, just like the rest of it. I split the last buff over a few days I had enough areas that needed fixing. Again, nice job. . Now be prepared for family, friends and some of those kidies in college to be bugging you to paint their cars, What did you end up doing as far as your air setup? and did it perform okay. I am usually pretty good on not having moisture in my lines with my cheap setup, but painting in the real humid weather on the last car, was fighting a bit with water from the line, and kept draining the trap.
Thanks a lot kenseth,
I want to say thanks especially to you because you're kind of the main guy who has been patient and consistant with your replies to my posts. Not all veteran painters have patience to help a newbie with some cheapie single stage learning.

As far as satisfaction goes... it's hard not to complain about parts of the paint but at the same time it's stupid for me to. Let me tell you, I started off just wanting to get any shape of a paint job on this truck before I left it for college so just for protection factor. From there the obsession starts and I ended up getting more and more picky. Things like bodywork I was originally going to neglect I ended up spending days on. Then as you know it took me weeks to figure out my painbt process, etc. And with the lack of a professional paint setup (booth, ventillation, etc.) it just added to the problem. So I went from not really caring to being absolutely picky about everything.

In total after buying primer, paint, reducers, hardeners, sand paper, masking stuff I have about $350 into the paint job. Add another $30 for my compounding products. Then $40 for my ebay HVLP gun. And almost forgot my compressor setup which I spend about $60 on a large filter, 2 small filters, and an at-gun regulator.

What I ended up using for my air setup was I ran a 50ft. hose from the compressor up into the rafters around the garage making up and down dips, then I had a large moisture filter at the end of that, then connected another 50ft. hose from that up and around which ended at my gun which had a small disposable air/water filter on it right before the regulator. To the best I could tell that setup worked pretty well for being half-arsed. I did not get any water out of the gun. I did end up keeping the large filter cracked open slightly because it was getting quite a big of water from my hard working meager compressor. I may have gotten small amount of moisture and garbage through the hose but I blamed most of my cleanliness issues on my garage setting itself. Fortunately, a light wetsanding cleaned up the surface of the paint real well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab
KNanthrup - definitely want to say I appreciate you taking the time to post all of this and really admire your diligence. I hope to paint my first ride late next year or early the following year (acquiring parts, supplies, tools, etc. now), and hopefully your experience will help!
Not a problem, I know there have been some people following this thread and I would love to share my experience from them. I've compiled some first-time experiences in the automotive field that I'm going to get onto my website some time in the future. Once again this job was something that wasn't all that critical so I wasn't afraid to tackle it. I'm glad others got something out of it too. Good luck with your paint job coming up. Please feel free to shoot me any questions if you think I can help. It's the least I can do after everyone who has helped me.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Chris

Looks like you need an air dryer.waterbmixing with your paint from the compressor...
Old 06-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Last journal entry: 91 S10 Built 305
Last photo:

My first paint job with acrylic enamel gloss black

This Is with Nason 8555 Gloss Black Acrylic Enamel mix 8:1:2
my first full vehicle paint job,
2 coats of hotrod black 2K primer,followed by 800 grit wetsanding
3 coats of Gloss Black
wet sanded with 2000 grit
buffed 3M rubbing compound
polished with Turtle wax polishing compound
and topped off with Mequires show time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8105.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	74679  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.