Help a noob wannabe paint&body guy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Help a noob wannabe paint&body guy

Ok so I went out&bought some junk panels,&TONS of tools&even had a new shop built.I bought a Stud welder,slide hammer,dollys&hammers,sanding blocks,buffer,about 5 diffrent sanders the key to metal bumping book,a mig welder,a bunch of respirstors,masking tape paints plastics etc etc...
I know none of This means crap if I dont know what Im doing.So Ive been cutting old metal out&welding patch panels in&Ive Got pretty good so still learning on the body work.That being said Ive been painting lately alot of flats&havent had 1 single run ..is it possible to shoot a gloss&not have to wet sand&cut&polish?If its a noob question its cuz Im a noob.Since Ive painted my dd paint&body work is all I wanna do.Im going tomorrow to buy a bunch of pratice paint.Im sticking to SS for now.Last question can I have a good example of a good speed I had a issue on too dry a few times.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Get the reducer or activator for the temperature at which you're spraying. It is possible to get a no sand/no buff finish but it takes lots of practice, lots of production shops do that daily. It just won't be the dead flat panel that you get with sanding and buffing. it'll be more like the factory finish on a vehicle which is acceptable to 99% of the people out there.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Just takes a lot of practice..Good gun adjustment helps a lot..shoot some paint on a piece of paper taped to the wall and get it so the paint lays out nicely and you will be good to go..of course you can expect there will be days when nothing goes right..

Sam
Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,066 Posts
here is a very good link to how to adjust your gun.

Adjusting Your Gun

John L
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 PM
two cups of tea

Thanks fellas went out today&bought a bunch of paint Im gonna spray some panels tomorrow
Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Get your panels smooth to 400 grit before you start spraying. Good luck!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 PM
two cups of tea

Ok so heres what happened as well as some questions...I sprayed two fenders in bc came out smooth!Way smoother than the ss I had been using.Then I did a fiberglass cowl hood&it had some issues&I think I know why but need you guys to weigh in.
On the cowl I think I went to heavy...I guess you could say I was trying to make the whole pass cover as much as possible.It was still smooth but had a look to it like orange peel but I was able to easily wet sand it out 11 hours after painting also didnt wait a full 15 minutes for flash.
Kind of got cocky I think since the others came out so nice.Last I didnt notice while doing the hood my comp came unplugged.So yes alot of noob mistakes...now my questions..why the off paint...too heavy?Or because maybe lack of air...the flash time?Or because it was fiberglass...Im thinking it was all of those.
Also I spray from left to right Then @end of panel I run back the oppisite way.I hold about 8 inches away I go about the way you would paint a wall with a brush speed wise.Should I just do a full panel in a lite coat wait&another lite coat? Also I see guys who spray&Then go back over it again without waiting a flash time.HELP
Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Patience grasshopper..It is a good thing..noobie mistake is to shoot too heavy..get your gun in a bit closer like 4-6 inches..start your spray off panel and run past the other end. Then using a 40-50% overlap come back the other way..Should get a good coverage..Now noobs and old guys sometimes get holidays..A holiday is where there is not full coverage so the noob piles on the paint to cover the holiday and gets runs and solvent trap..Light coats and let the panel flash well before adding another coat..and all you need to do is shoot to full cover you do not need any more paint than that..

Right now speed is not the issue..getting a good job is..once you can get a good shoot on your projects the the speed will come..

the difference between a noob and a journeyman is that the journeyman can fix his mistakes..

Sam

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.