Hot Rod Forum banner

Help with orange peel

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  cutthroatkid 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a quick question,lately I've learned to love bc/cc as I've had no problem with orange peel.Now today I shot a buddys car with some cheap single stage &I've gotten orange peel its not too bad but its there looks pretty minor but its through the whole car,
Now it was fairly chilly only about 65 is that my problem or was I moving too fast or top slow?it has a nice gloss but if I try to sand it out its so dull looking. What am I doing wrong?

#2 ·
it has a nice gloss but if I try to sand it out its so dull looking. What am I doing wrong?
Sand it flat with 2000 and buff. When you sand it you want it to look uniformly dull like this quarter panel. Sounds like maybe you were moving too fast and it may have been a tad chilly both air temp and metal temp, also did you have your PSI high enough on the gun? Were you holding the gun close enough to your work?

Hopefully experts will chime in.

Andy

#7 ·
&heres another thing so I hit it with 1000 grit wet&it'll make ot where its not gone but its flat...its like You can faintly see the pattern left behind.When I do that it gets the paint dull should I shoot cc to fix this even though its a ss or just re shoot the ss&if I do that should I shoot another coat of primer over it?Help me out fellas

#9 ·
You need to get it down where you see zero shiny spots left (those are tiny low spots). If it were me, I would block it all down with 400 or 600 and reshoot the SS.

Sounds like you got heavy orange peel. I had this happen to me on the Nova I did and it was because of two things... fan was closed down and not enough PSI. It sucks.

Hopefully an expert will add to this discussion.

Andy

#10 ·
ambient lighting.

If you don't have enough light you can't see what is happening when you are spraying. I used to hold a trouble light in one hand and the gun in the other, probably not a good idea spraying something flamable but back then we rode with out helmets, no seat belt in the truck, and drank water from a hose !

#11 ·
If you don't have enough light you can't see what is happening when you are spraying. I used to hold a trouble light in one hand and the gun in the other, probably not a good idea spraying something flamable but back then we rode with out helmets, no seat belt in the truck, and drank water from a hose !
sounds like were from the same neighbor hood :)
Ive got tons of lighting Im thinking its the cheapo primer because I went&shot a panel with

3 good coats of high build primer&gun set up the same&no orange peel.Im thinking Im notbgonna shoot anything but bc/cc anylonger.When I shoot bc/cc I seem to come out fime but everytime I shoot ss theres issues...is ss really more prone to orange peel?Ive heard mixed feelings about this.When I was a kid my grand daddy use to use lacquers&he had a lot of stuff in shows...here's one Sorry its a b&w

And here he is
I inspire to be just like him..never gave me nothing. Even when I was a kid&I wanted a buck for some candy I had to work for it taught me a lot without him Wouldn't have had noone teach me how to be a man my mom described him as a sawed off s.o.b. anyways getting off the subject when he pops In ny head I tend to. ramble ramble on

pop&his buddy Ralph&some other fella they were in a m.c c together pop is the one on the right&Ralph is the big fella.I meet him once but he's supposed to be. a monster when ot comes to making things go fast....man am I off the subject.Sorry anyways Any more answers to my questions are appreciated

#13 ·
you're gonna end up with peel using the purple gun and at 65. The gun just can't atomize good. If you put in more reducer you risk runs and solvent bubbles. I'd do two wet coats and not worry about getting it to look like glass cause if you do get it to look like glass, as I said, you'll get solvent bubbles cause it doesn't atomize good. Not knocking the gun but if you have a good gun you'll get the glossy glass look but it will be atomized better so it's applied thinner and able to breathe. This is important when painting black.

#16 ·
Well I think its a few things now...first the generic primer,second my gun,I bumped the psi up to 60&it seemed to like that.Next I went&bought some primer from my local bobber&shot it on the cab of a 56 gmc we have after some lite body work&the paint came out nice&smooth on it.So cheapo primer is my guess

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.