Help with overheating 383 stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 08:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help with overheating 383 stroker

Hello new here, I own a 4 wheel drive shop in Florida and specialize in Jeep conversions to chevy engines.Some are stock others more performance. Now onto the problems I seem to keep having cooling problems with these conversions. They get up to around 220 degrees and can climb higher but I shut them down or bring them back to idle and they will cool down.
The engines seem to be overheating in higher RPM ranges sitting or driving and pulling like up mountian roads , all idle very cool, all have the same radiators aluminum from a place called Novak, and Flex a lite 3000cfm electric fans, and all are Automatic TH400. one is a 350 with iron chevy heads and I don't know what kind of cam but sure does run great. the other is a built 383 with E-Tec Edelbrock 200 heads a lunati Voodo cam and a Proform electric water pump, neather of these can run at standing still at 2000RPM or driving down road with out running hot takes a little while depending on outside temp 30 to 45 mins. Both have Edlelebrock carbs 650CFMs. All is new in both just can't figure it out. So I am looking for help. Have played around with differant Thermostats higher flows, stock ,160 to 185, timing, and distributor curves. have not checked spark plugs for richness, but both have had Holleys on them also and did the same thing. Any input would be great.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alabama jeep1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	35090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alabama engine1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	35091   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010060-2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	35092   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010053-2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	35093  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 Factory
Hello new here, I own a 4 wheel drive shop in Florida and specialize in Jeep conversions to chevy engines.Some are stock others more performance. Now onto the problems I seem to keep having cooling problems with these conversions. They get up to around 220 degrees and can climb higher but I shut them down or bring them back to idle and they will cool down.
The engines seem to be overheating in higher RPM ranges sitting or driving and pulling like up mountian roads , all idle very cool, all have the same radiators aluminum from a place called Novak, and Flex a lite 3000cfm electric fans, and all are Automatic TH400. one is a 350 with iron chevy heads and I don't know what kind of cam but sure does run great. the other is a built 383 with E-Tec Edelbrock 200 heads a lunati Voodo cam and a Proform electric water pump, neather of these can run at standing still at 2000RPM or driving down road with out running hot takes a little while depending on outside temp 30 to 45 mins. Both have Edlelebrock carbs 650CFMs. All is new in both just can't figure it out. So I am looking for help. Have played around with differant Thermostats higher flows, stock ,160 to 185, timing, and distributor curves. have not checked spark plugs for richness, but both have had Holleys on them also and did the same thing. Any input would be great.Thanks
Do you have high flow water pumps on there and are you sure the radiator is big enough. The entire system should hold about 4 gallons of Coolant to be safe. Is this a 4 row or 2 row radiator?

Here's a decent high volume aluminum pump that's inexpensive.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Also, long shot, is the water pump rotation correct? Some pumps have different rotation than others so the belts/pulleys need to be correct. Serpentine vs. V groove.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

I beleive they are 2 row and no it does not hold 4 gal of coolant about 2 gal
Old 12-21-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I beleive they are 2 row and no it does not hold 4 gal of coolant about 2 gal
I think you need more coolant. 8 quarts isn't enough IMO. I betcha a higher capacity 4 row radiator would do it.

I'm talking 4 gallons in the WHOLE SYSTEM, not just the radiator. Just to be clear. You better check that, I think you're wrong on the 2 gallons.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

yes that filling radiator more than likely
Old 12-21-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
yes that filling radiator more than likely
OK I have to ask. You said:
Quote:
Hello new here, I own a 4 wheel drive shop in Florida and specialize in Jeep conversions to chevy engines
and you don't know this stuff cold?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:23 AM

Last photo:

What do you mean?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

With all the info you have given and seeing the size of the radiator, which is the only thing they both have in common other than the fans, I might take a guess and say that perhaps the radiators are too small.

Also if they run fine at highway speeds but start to get hot when you slow down then you might want to take a look at your fan shroud arrangement.

Do you have a shroud other than the one that came on the fan?
If you are indeed using the shroud that came with the fan is it mounted directly on the radiator.

Any space between the radiator and shroud will cause air to flow in through that gap and not through the radiator.

Are they all running electric water pumps?
A lot of these pumps are designed primarily for drag use and were never really indended for the street.
That could also be a problem.

I would say start with the shroud issue as that would be the cheapest thing to rig up and see if it works.
Then maybe slap a stock belt driven water pump on it and see what that does.
If you are still having problems then the radiator might be the culprit.

I also would do what has already been mentioned and make sure the pumps are flowing the right direction.
A friend once had an overheating issue that was eventually traced back the a reverse flow pump on a standard flow system.

Thats all I can guess at this point.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

Both fans are mounted dirrectly to Rad. One has a machanical water pump, both have same radiator. And it is running at higher RPMs sitting or down road, just put a new cam in one the other day and breaking in cam started to overheat at 2000 RPM. That one has the electric pump.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
What do you mean?
Are these the first two to have the problem. If this swap is your specialty don't you know what it takes?

That being said...to the post above. I made the assumption you had a decent quality aftermarket fan installed correctly.

As noted, if it were at idle, I'd suspect the fan. Since it's under load I lean coolant quantity or water pump.

As to the high volume pump, there are some for drag racing. The one I referenced is a fine pump for street or off road use.

The other issue is too if you have a high volume pump, and a small radiator, it could get hotter as the coolant doesn't sit long enough in the radiator and it will run hot. To me, a four row radiator is in order. Again, this is internet advice I've never seen the vehicle. The reason I say this is at higher speed the coolant runs through the system faster which cools less in the radiator. With the electric pump, the coolant doesn't get as hot at idle, so the short stint in the radiator isn't as punishing.

This is really engine trouble shooting 101 at this point. There's nothing to a cooling system. It's the pump, radiator, and t-stat. That's it.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Both fans are mounted dirrectly to Rad. One has a machanical water pump, both have same radiator. And it is running at higher RPMs sitting or down road, just put a new cam in one the other day and breaking in cam started to overheat at 2000 RPM. That one has the electric pump.
Roller cam? Rollers don't require breakin. I expect that all new motors will be rollers.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

Yes I do have a few out there these are the two with more performance engines and yes thes two have the same radiator, the others have have conversion radiators stock style, they were bought used soI don't know how many core they are. and they also have clutch fans and shrouds. thats why the other aluminum rad. was purchased for these engines, the water pump elecric is a Proform 35 gal min pump, One of the Jeeps have a stock 350 1972 block never beeen touch that we could tell, pulled pan a check bearings, with a new set of built vortec heads and a lunati 268 cam Conversion rad, brass or copper and a 6 blade fan and clutch and big shroud runs 180 all day. All depends on buget of customer
Old 12-21-2008, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I would then say that the radiators are probably the issue.

Once the coolant in the system gets saturated with heat it is probably not in the smaller radiator long enough to cool it down and it just keeps getting hotter and hotter.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

I wish rollers no flat tappet, I make daily driver Jeeps and budget doesn't let them get into rollers.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Thats where I am headed too , the radiators I bought for these came from a place that I buy my adapter from. now they are making a HD Rad, for performance engines, they made sound like the ones i bought would work for performance. Just trying to make sure before spending more money. Didn't know if there was something else to check. I build 4X4s noit engines.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.