Help with painting pearls - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 07:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I lay out one side of the hood with fine line tape then lay the masking paper over that and trace the pattern by rubbing it with a charcoal pencil that artists use.anywhere the tape is stands right out then I cut it it out making a decal out of the white masking paper I flip it over and use it to lay out the other side of the hood so both side are exactly the same....Then I use a repositionable spray glue (also available at the arts and crafts store) to stick the paper to the surface.....Same with the sides I make a decal with the masking paper then use it for both sides.That glue is fantastic stuff but it takes time ,lots of it...
I see guys lay out flames in a couple hours and it makes me sick ,takes me about a week....It takes me so long there aint no money in it for ME but I love doing it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks again Mike...I did use the masking paper method from side to side and should have mentioned it...Sometimes what one person might feel is a given isn't a given to someone else. The masking paper method works well but, as you mentioned Mike, it is very time consuming and the attention to detail is critical. Measurements from side to side seem to be endless.

And your right, it's a labor of love. Sometimes when I'm done I hate to give the keys back to the owner...LOL.

Ray
Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Have you guys ever tried Frisket Film? Frisket Film - Low Tack & Extra Tack: Grafix
I am no custom painter and have only done one flame job by whole life but used this stuff doing the flames on my son's Pinewood derby car. LOL, yeah that's right on a Pinewood derby car. Anyway, someone told me on a forum to give it a try and it worked like magic.

They have a crazy amount of sizes with large sheets for you to do the side of a semi truck trailer with.
http://www.grafixarts.com/images/com...ility_39c2.PDF

Have you ever tried it? I am thinking it would work out pretty nice in custom painting.

Brian
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I've never tried it Brian...What I have done several times in the past and it has worked quite well is to use the same material that they use for stencils, lay out my flames and trace the flames on the back side of the stencil material (if you try this make sure you get the stencil material with the thin transparent paper backing), cut out the flames and apply to the other side (unfortunately on the truck with ghost flames I wasn't able to get the transparent paper backed material and needed to do the masking paper method).

Where do you get the Frisk Film?

Ray
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
I've never tried it Brian...What I have done several times in the past and it has worked quite well is to use the same material that they use for stencils, lay out my flames and trace the flames on the back side of the stencil material (if you try this make sure you get the stencil material with the thin transparent paper backing), cut out the flames and apply to the other side (unfortunately on the truck with ghost flames I wasn't able to get the transparent paper backed material and needed to do the masking paper method).

Where do you get the Frisk Film?

Ray
I got it at a local art store but it was only 9x12 sheets (I was only doing a little Pinewood derby car after all) but that first link has the sources.

Brian
Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Brian...I'll look into it. Ray
Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 PM

What I do when I spray on pearl is fill the mixing cup up to 2 on the 4:1:1 mixing scale with clear and hardener then up to the 8th line with reducer (dont know if I explained that well) then mix the pearl into the super thin clear mixture and when you dump it into the paint gun jack the pressure up to 45-55 psi and turn the fan all the way to wide and dust the whole car from about 3-4 feet away (keep the gun moving quickly). This is just my way of doing it and it works well and goes on very even. You wont really see the pearl effect until you lay an actual coat of clear on though. Like I said this is just my way of doing it and it works fantastic for me. Hope this helps. -Casey
Old 05-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

When I ghosted a few flames on my truck, I used an intercoat clear mixed with the pearl then cleared the overall truck afterwards.

When I had my purple Silverado hit and I decided to have the complete truck repainted, a buddy did it and added a red pearl into the final clear. I didn't like it. Don't get me wrong, he did a hell of a job, but the pearl in the final clear took away the depth of the paint.

69 Widetrack........what color is that truck painted? That truck is the ****. Beautiful job!!!!!

Tags
custom paint, ghost flames, painting pearls

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.