Help with painting pearls - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help with painting pearls

I need a little advice on painting pearls. I know you can mix it with paint or intermediate clear or your final clear. But I'm just doing a ghost flame. I've heard of just using your reducer mixed with your pearls sprayed real lightly will give you this effect then wait until dry, untape and clear entire job. Is this true.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Think about it ,will the pearl stick to the surface if you poured it on because thats what just adding reducer is like when it evaporates ....what you need is a binder (think of it as a glue) to make it stick...Using a clear (either one) works because it has the binder in it..using an inter clear is just better because it dries faster with less chance of getting a run
Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 AM

What paint system are you using? Most have a clear binder (clear basecoat) that is used for this purpose or you could probably use clear without hardner (would dry quick). There are also clear adhesion promotors too. Many options, but just using reducer will not allow the pearl to stick.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

shake it !

sometimes it will sink to the bottom of your cup. I put a couple new CLEAN nuts in the paint cup and shake your gun like using a rattle can. then spray. repeat the shake every once in a while to get a consistant coat.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 AM

I'm using a urethane base coat clear coat system. If you didn't add the hardener wouldn't the clear stay tacky? I'm just not experienced with using pearls and its not an important job. It's just a golf cart for a guy that wanted something different. I didn't have any inner coat clear on hand and was seeing if there was another opition. I see what y'all are saying though. I was just thinking cause it was so small I could spray the pearls with the reducer unmask and have clear on hand ready to spray and spray fast. But if I need it I will order the inner coat clear. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Use some thinned clear without hardner. Some people do this all the time for an inner coat. It will dry quick - and it will not be tacky when it is dry.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:25 AM

Thanks. Ill try it out on a test pannel
Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

You can use PPG DBC500 to mix your pearl with. It should work great for this purpose.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Willys77 View Post
Use some thinned clear without hardner. Some people do this all the time for an inner coat. It will dry quick - and it will not be tacky when it is dry.
Be very careful using this method...it could very easily wrinkle on you when you but a catalyzed clear over top...I'm glad your trying a test panel.

The proper way to shot a mid coat pearl for ghost flames is to use an intercoat clear (mid-coat clear)...it's basically a clear binder that is reduced like regular base coat...Mitmak is correct...DBC500 is PPG's Deltron mid coat clear and works well with PPG. I would not use it over another manufacturer's product, adhesion would be my concern...some people may say that they have done it and it works...good for them...if it doesn't, can you go back to the guy that never had a problem and get your money back...NO. Check with whatever manufacturer's product your using for a mid coat clear and use that. Any other product your asking for trouble.

Ray
Old 03-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Below is a link to a hood that I did for a 1972 C 10 Chevy truck, using PPG's Deltron products...The base color is a blue metallic, the ghost flames are 7 shades of blue blended together with my air brush. For the mid coat I used Deltron DBC 500 with an transparent Orange in it and applied it over the blue base. The entire truck had 5 coats of clear and was then cut and buffed.

That is the correct way to do, ghost flames, if you use pearls in a catalyzed clear for your mid coat, your asking for something to go wrong...and generally when you do, something will go wrong...as Mike (deadbodyman) said...runs. Repairibilty using a catalyzed or un-catalyzed clear as mid coat coat is extremely difficult or next to impossible.

Hood Only
087 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ray
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmaks View Post
You can use PPG DBC500 to mix your pearl with. It should work great for this purpose.
Or D895, Both are just clear basecoat.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Be very careful using this method...it could very easily wrinkle on you when you but a catalyzed clear over top...I'm glad your trying a test panel.

The proper way to shot a mid coat pearl for ghost flames is to use an intercoat clear (mid-coat clear)...it's basically a clear binder that is reduced like regular base coat...Mitmak is correct...DBC500 is PPG's Deltron mid coat clear and works well with PPG. I would not use it over another manufacturer's product, adhesion would be my concern...some people may say that they have done it and it works...good for them...if it doesn't, can you go back to the guy that never had a problem and get your money back...NO. Check with whatever manufacturer's product your using for a mid coat clear and use that. Any other product your asking for trouble.

Ray
+1
Don't mix brands, and don't try to topcoat uncatylised topcoat, with catyilised topcoat.
If you want to mix pearl in your clearcoat, Go for it, but mix the clear as per directions in the TDS. Then just topcoat with clear as if it was another coat.
But for small areas, (flames, stripes etc.) best to use a clear base (binder) of the same brand as the rest of the system you're using.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Your correct st3gamefarm, D895 is from PPG's Global line and the DBC 500 is from the PPG'S Deltron line. Both are solvent base coat, mid coat clears but should be used with either Global and or Deltron toners and pearls respectively and not intermixed.

This is the proper way...don't become a homemade chemist and mix one brand with another or one paint line with another, your asking for more headaches than you need to. It's hard enough to get acceptable results doing it right, why even think of getting acceptable results doing it wrong.

Good post st3gamefarm

Ray
Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Below is a link to a hood that I did for a 1972 C 10 Chevy truck, using PPG's Deltron products...The base color is a blue metallic, the ghost flames are 7 shades of blue blended together with my air brush. For the mid coat I used Deltron DBC 500 with an transparent Orange in it and applied it over the blue base. The entire truck had 5 coats of clear and was then cut and buffed.

That is the correct way to do, ghost flames, if you use pearls in a catalyzed clear for your mid coat, your asking for something to go wrong...and generally when you do, something will go wrong...as Mike (deadbodyman) said...runs. Repairibilty using a catalyzed or un-catalyzed clear as mid coat coat is extremely difficult or next to impossible.

Hood Only
087 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ray
NICE work 69...
Also ,Why would anyone want to take a chance using different brands of a clear system???it takes so much time to lay out flames and do a good looking job ...Do it right and do it once ,its easier AND better....I'd be more concernd about getting the flames layed out right,Thats where all the talent come in ...following directions is EZ...
Look at 69's hood ,see how both sides are exactly the same (symetrical) ...ask him how he got it like that ,thats MOST important...

Last edited by deadbodyman; 03-02-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Mike...Getting Ghost Flames or any flames on a vehicle semetrical can be a challenge and your correct, that is the hardest part of doing flames. On the hood, because of the hood having the cowl induction (raised in the center), I used a combination of decals and laying the flames out free had. I had to cut the decal in half, so it would lay properly on the hood with minimal air pockets. In areas where the decal would not lay down (again because of the contours in the hood) I laid them out by hand. I spent hours using a tape measure to ensure that the flames where identical side to side. Only when I was satisfied that they where equal did I break out the air brush.

The Ghost flames on the hood where difficult but, the ghost flames on the side where even more so. They needed to be hand laid, as I could get a decal to match the type of flame on the hood and they had to be even side to side. If you noticed the flames on the hood don't have a beginning (No distinct flame line at the front of the hood, or at the front of both fenders). Being a tri coat color, the colors needed to be blended so the front of the fenders and hood where the same color as the rest of the truck. Now get this...the owner took the truck to a show, came back and wanted the flames on the hood to be painted on a tonneau cover he had just purchased...only the flames need to be larger...LOL. This is where documenting what you do comes in handy, I had all the color used (7 different shades of blue) for bending the Ghost Flames and the order I used them written down in my log book...If that hadn't been done, matching the fade from hood to tonneau cover would have been impossible.

Left Front Fender
016 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Right Front Fender
014 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Complete Truck Driver's Side
109 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

When doing anything like this, it's tedious, time consuming and often mind numbing but, in the forefront of my mind what keeps me going is that when people look at my work, it's my signature. At car shows people never talk to the next guy and say"did you see that average body work and paint job", they always say "did you see that awesome paint" or "did you see that terrible paint". The cool thing is that you, as the Technician get to decide what people say about your work.

Ray

Tags
custom paint, ghost flames, painting pearls

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.