help painting tiger strips - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

help painting tiger strips

I'm building a 4x4 and I'm in the process of painting it bright safety orange. in doing so i decided to call it shere khan. then i Decided i wonted some type of tiger decal are strips. however i have not been able to find any thing i like. so i thought of just putting some strips on it but lack the skill to mask that so was wondering if any one knew were to get decals are a stencil to help me mask it? i have searched all over the net but only come up with a few bama decals.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 12:09 AM

Tiger stripes

This project is NOT out of your reach. In fact it is a LOT easier than you'd think as long as you don't make it harder in your mind than it really is.
1. These are a bunch of "irregular lines" so you will be doing a lot of wiggles.
2.It does NOT have to be perfect. You are trying to create the illusion of Tiger stripes and it'll work.
3.I would look at a photo of a Tiger but just in general. Then I would look at things like ....I think the Cinci Bengals Helmets are Tiger striped, I could be wrong. Then check out the most Famous Tiger of them all....NO NOT The GOLFER......Tony The TIGER. There also some Jungle Utilities Uniforms that are Tiger striped.
There are two methods to use.'
1. You can draw it on very lightly with a Stabillo Pencil, then mask with Fine Line tape, then fill in the spaces to me blocked out with masking tape and masking paper...stay away from using newspaper.
2. If I were doing it I would paper the whole vehicle (Cover it) with the mounting paper they use to mount cut out vinyl letters. You can get it at a local Sign Supply Store by the roll. Get a plastic squeegee too.
Cover the whole car, then lightly.....I said lightly Son....sqweegee the paper down...don't really worry about the wrinkles too much.
Then with a pencil or a stabillo pencil make all you lines on the paper.
Take your Xacto Knife and lightly.....very lightly so you don't cut you paint to the metal (use many very sharp blades) cut out the parts to be painted. Pull out the parts to be painted.
Then take your plastic sqweegee and smooth down ALL the edges. Don't worry too much about the center of the paper as long as the edges are sealed down about an inch in. It'l be easier to remove later.
Do a little clean up with Wax and grease remover, do NOT soak the paper. tack rag it off, and shoot your black stripes.
Let the paint flash off real well, and come back and start pulling your paper off. Make sure to pull the paper back over itself keeping it close to the surface, just like you would do with masking tape. Pulling out is more likely to pull UP the base coat.
If you cleaned well and rubbed down the edges well, checking them as you are going along for lifts......you should have a geeeeeeerrrreat! looking tiger striped 4X.
Really this is the perfect kinda project to attempt.
Call me or shoot me a personal msg if ya need more help.
By the way this is what I do...have been doing it for 25 years, and is exactly how I have painted some of the biggest NASCAR Team Haulers before they all went to decals.
I'll be air brushing a bunch of stuff on my two trucks and I'll do it just that way.
If you are using Urethanes, don't let them harden all the way before you pull the masking.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

CustomConspiracy
let me run an idea by you but run some back ground first. i first painted my truck about 4 years ago went black then. i used some industrial enamel from work back then. I build containers. Any way the work paint for the bed since it was rusted and i knew i would be eventually replacing it when i could find a good one. just presser washer it and sprayed paint. but the rest of the truck i used some ppg and did all the right stuff. well 3 years later the work paint still looks good but the ppg is dead. so when it came to my rebuild of my truck i deced to use the paint from work and change to orange since i have learned black is very hight maintenance and orange will look good even if the truck goes thought a hale storm. Anyway i have repainted this truck in stages so there is color differences do to mixing and spray difference. so my plan was to just respray the complete truck to get a match. Any way i was thinking of spraying random black strips then taking some 3 inch type and riping it to give me some jagged lines over the black then respray the orange over the truck. take of my tape and there we go what do you think?

Skeeter

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.