Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help picking a welder
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Miller 180 wirefeed

Lincoln 180 ProMig

Hobart Handler 187(now the 190 models)

All THEE most popular and easiest to learn home welding machines and will do anything from light sheetmetal to 1/4" and a little more in a single pass with a bevel.

I've used all those brands,buddys have Hobarts and Millers and i see no difference in the welds and weldabililty between them all,Just the prices...i have the Lincoln ProMig 180 and it gets used for just about everything under 1/2" around here,then i'll break out the Lincoln Ranger 225 stick

Hobart handlers now have come out with 2 different models..the 187 is being replaced with a 190 and they now have a 210 model,the 210 models even have good deals goin where they include the spool gun with it so you can weld aluminum.
I'd be lookin around for people/stores selling the Hobart 187 at good prices since they will start being phased out with the 190.

I bought my Lincoln over the Miller for the fact Miller was selling the "auto set" factor for a higher price and once you learn to weld you'll never use it,you'll fine tune to your style and likings and needs on different types of jobs.
Plus the Miller had plastic drive rolls and the Lincolns had steel drive rolls..and then the price factor..Millers were going for over 800.00..i got my Lincoln ProMig 180 from an authorised Lincoln dealer online for about 525.00 shipped to my door.
Hobarts are no slackers..they are GREAT machines and right now i think they will be giving the best prices with these new models coming out.especialy on the 187's now..my buddy has had the 187 for quite a few years now and uses it fo building extreme 4x4's and beats the snot out of the machine and still running smooth as silk.

Glad oldred pointed out the fact that MIG is totaly different than fluxcore,i see alot of people saying they have a MIG machine but it only runs Fluxcore