Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help picking a welder
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've used TIG on sheetmetal "thinking" it would cause less warpage a long time ago,but found out not to be true,this is especialy important on welding body panels where warpage is a huge concern.

What i found out is with TIG you have to keep the heat on the panel long enough to heat it up and then add the filler and that keeps the heat on it too long...with a MIG you just pull the trigger and do a quick "blast" or tack ,so it doesn't concentrate the heat on the panel for a long time spreading heat through the panel...

I do agree TIG is about the nicest process there is,i LOVE to TIG,i recently sold my Miller Maxstar 200DX to put money towards an AC/DC machine to also weld aluminum with it...

But in just welding up frame repair/mods..sheetmetal panels..etc for auto use..i just break out the MIG and get it done in a short time and it lays some excellent beads.

TIG is also more expensive in about every aspect...
Much more to buy the machine..
Consumables like the tungsten and collet sizes and cups are much more expensive to buy then just a tip and cup on a MIG.
They also use ALOT more gas per inch of weld than a MIG,compare to how long it takes to weld a 6 inch long 1/4" weld with TIG compared to a MIG..ALOT longer..so you used a heck of alot more gas and that adds up quick.

Then you have to consider someone just starting to learn welding,TIG takes ALOT more learning curve than does a 220v MIG,for an example,my wife never welded in her life..just a while back i showed her how to use my Lincoln 180 so she could adhance some of her yard projects and crafts..in ONE day i had her laying more than acceptable beads with it and understood what she was doing...try that with TIG..........

I am FAR from bashing TIG,as i said already,its my FAVORITE process, i'm just being un-bias,..but its more expensive to buy and operate than a MIG or fluxcore and takes alot longer to learn.

All in all,,i would consider all that to be the MIG is more Versatile in automotive work unless you are doing strictly aluminum,TIG aumimum is much nicer than MIG aluminum....,but as far being versatile again,you can get a spool gun for MIG to run aluminum too.

Last edited by SuthnCustoms; 09-07-2011 at 09:09 PM.