Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help picking a welder
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
around here won't use a wire feed on critical structural stuff and I tend to agree. If I was welding a truck frame I would definitely lay it in with a stick welder. For one thing you have a lot more choices of rod types, even though I would probably use 7018. [The standard wire used in wire feeds is a little brittle from what I've been told]. I have zero experience with a Tig so I can't comment on that.

Personally I think stick gets a bad rap because some people think it's outdated but sometimes the old way really is better. Now having said that don't undersell the MIG either, that truck frame can be welded just fine with MIG if the right wire is used. Even standard ER70s wire can equal 7018 and some of the duel shield wires are light years ahead of any of the 70,000 tensile stick rods, there are a number of MIG wires out there that will produce a weld superior to 7018 and in fact there are wires that will meet or exceed most of the stick alloys. Which process is chosen for a certain job depends on a great many factors but given favorable circumstances in each case MIG and Stick will both yield equal welds with MIG usually being much faster, when talking about MIG wire you simply can not compare the common mild steel solid wires with the alloy duel shield wires.

Last edited by oldred; 09-07-2011 at 10:10 PM.