Help Please...Low CFM gun - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 12:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help Please...Low CFM gun

I have a 25 gal craftsman oil lube compressor and was wondering which low cfm guns out there can spray an oem quality paint job. I will be using this for spraying bumpers, fenders, etc. A friend told me that 4340 on harbor freight sprays well, but if there are better guns out there that can do a tremendously better job, i would appreciate your feedback. I know very little about painting and with trial and error i hope to become decent. First, i would like to start off with a good gun. Here are my specs on my compressor. TIA

SCFM Delivery At 40 psi 8.6 SCFM
SCFM Delivery At 90 psi 6.8 SCFM
Maximum Compressor psi 150 psi

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

First, you need to start out with a better compressor. Im afraid that ones not gonna do the job. LVLPs are the hot item these days. Most arent cheap but you can get Astro EVO for less than $100. I got one not long ago and its a nice gun...it even cut down on overspray as best I can tell (Ive only used it a few times) and it uses much less air than any of my other guns. But I dont think that compressors gonna put out enough air even for that gun.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:03 AM

Hi thanks for the reply. So, a 25 gallan is not enough to paint a fender or bumper? Or is it my cfm numbers are too low?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

Its the CFM thats important. You MIGHT could get by with it for a bumper, but itd take some patience and timing, as well as a very good filtration system to remove the moisture. You see, the problem with a marginal compressor is that they get very hot, as theyre forced to run more often. So as they try to keep up, even if they CAN, theyll produce much more heat than a larger one. Moisture is created as the hot air produced by the compressor begins to cool down, and moisture is a painters worst enemy. So even if you had a compressor that produced exactly as much air as a gun uses, theoretically itd run non-stop, and in the process, would create alot of heat. And you can imagine how this situation worsens as the compressor size is reduced. Im not trying to discourage you, nor say it cant be done, but Id definitely try to find a bigger air supply. Itll prevent headaches for you
Old 05-04-2007, 05:04 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

You don't have to use a HVLP to paint a car.
Get one of the cheap "Binks" copy guns from Astro and you can
spray well at 30 psi which lowers the cfm a lot, probably less than 4.
I did entire cars that way with a 3/4 hp compressor when I
was starting out. They spray unbelievably well, even at that lower
psi.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...%20APAS7SP.htm
Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

if your looking for a more quality low cfm gun. look at a walcom slim s. runs at like 6.7cfm. its the lowest cfm gun i know of and its not killer expensive. its not a no name tiwan knockoff so you can get parts for it and it comes in a nice case with a super nice regulator too.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

DEFINITELY NOT the 43430 "Purple" gun from HF, that thing is an air hog! Your friend told you right it is a good gun for the money and will do an excellent job for you but you need a compressor on the order of about 15-16 CFM@90 PSI, you could get by with a little less but it would be tricky. It would drain your compressor in a matter of seconds.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:37 AM

You may want to just start off with a conventional type gun, with the cup at the bottom. The newer guns are low psi but take a lot of air volume to run.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJr
Its the CFM thats important. You MIGHT could get by with it for a bumper, but itd take some patience and timing, as well as a very good filtration system to remove the moisture. You see, the problem with a marginal compressor is that they get very hot, as theyre forced to run more often. So as they try to keep up, even if they CAN, theyll produce much more heat than a larger one. Moisture is created as the hot air produced by the compressor begins to cool down, and moisture is a painters worst enemy. So even if you had a compressor that produced exactly as much air as a gun uses, theoretically itd run non-stop, and in the process, would create alot of heat. And you can imagine how this situation worsens as the compressor size is reduced. Im not trying to discourage you, nor say it cant be done, but Id definitely try to find a bigger air supply. Itll prevent headaches for you
Thanks CDJr, i've look into bigger compressor, but for the amount of usage i'll be using it for (2-3 times a year) wasn't worth the hassle. This is the reason why i went with a smaller compressor. I do understand a bigger compressor will ease the process. Thanks for your imput
Old 05-05-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
You don't have to use a HVLP to paint a car.
Get one of the cheap "Binks" copy guns from Astro and you can
spray well at 30 psi which lowers the cfm a lot, probably less than 4.
I did entire cars that way with a 3/4 hp compressor when I
was starting out. They spray unbelievably well, even at that lower
psi.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...%20APAS7SP.htm
Thanks jcclark, great price! I'll definitely look into it.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcleanr6
if your looking for a more quality low cfm gun. look at a walcom slim s. runs at like 6.7cfm. its the lowest cfm gun i know of and its not killer expensive. its not a no name tiwan knockoff so you can get parts for it and it comes in a nice case with a super nice regulator too.
Thanks mrcleanr6
Old 05-05-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
DEFINITELY NOT the 43430 "Purple" gun from HF, that thing is an air hog! Your friend told you right it is a good gun for the money and will do an excellent job for you but you need a compressor on the order of about 15-16 CFM@90 PSI, you could get by with a little less but it would be tricky. It would drain your compressor in a matter of seconds.
Hi oldered, well, my friend has been using it to paint his car. I've only seen the inside painted, but it looks decent and he's using a 30 gal craftsman compressor. So, Iím guessing maybe i should stay away from this gun? Are there any guns out there that you would recomend?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker944
You may want to just start off with a conventional type gun, with the cup at the bottom. The newer guns are low psi but take a lot of air volume to run.
Do you know of any brands off hand? I donít know much when it comes to paint guns. I rather have your guyís expertise, since you been there done that. TIA GUYS
Old 05-05-2007, 11:06 AM

Why not try the Iwata knockoff "Zhipp" gun off ebay?
I compared it to my LPH400, and the Zhipp uses less air.
I'm not saying it's a better gun, but it is a surprisingly good gun and uses less air than any gun I have short of my Sharpe Platinum. Plus it's about $50!!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94_FD3S
Hi oldered, well, my friend has been using it to paint his car. I've only seen the inside painted, but it looks decent and he's using a 30 gal craftsman compressor. So, I’m guessing maybe i should stay away from this gun? Are there any guns out there that you would recomend?

The 43430 takes a LOT of air and I think most everyone that uses one can attest to that. I bought the 43430 after hearing about it here, bought 2 of them actually, and I was quite pleased with the performance but I have a large compressor and air supply is no problem. When you say 30 gallon compressor I have to assume it is a low CFM so I am afraid when your friend starts on the outside of the car he may have serious problems unless he paints the car in parts and not all at once. To better help decide which gun you need forget about gallons and use CFM as the guide to how much performance you can expect from a compressor since tank size really don't mean much in spite of common belief, it is how much air the motor/pump (CFM) produces that matters. There are several guns around, some already mentioned, that should work just fine with the compressor you have so I would suggest you look for one that requires about 6 or 7 CFM and no more than that, the 43430 needs about twice that much. A bigger compressor would be the best way to go but with a little planing and air management along with the proper gun you should be able to get by ok.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.