Help Please! Want wet glass look on clear! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help Please! Want wet glass look on clear!

So, is that the reason why my clear gets dull? I need to give the solvents time? What if the clear coat says 15 minutes flash time? Is 30 minutes really good for each flash? Also If I could get your help with the flash time for Base, clear coats and also what's the shooting PSI for Base and Clear Coat? I really appreciate all the info you guys are giving me. Thank You!

Just to let you know that I'm gonna shoot a car this Thursday and it's gonna be black. Please help with all the info you could give me. What's the best way to shoot this car to make it have the wet glass look, especially with black and what's the shooting distance to not get as much orange peels or runs?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 PM

I really like PPG 2021 clear coat. It flows out well. If you are looking for a less expensive clear coat I have had good luck with the Shopline 6700 European clear with slow catalyst. Shoplines other clears do not flow out well for overall paint jobs.

Good luck with your project.

Donnie Smith

Last edited by poncho62; 03-21-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Those flash times are the MINIMAL times!!!!!!
Under "IDEAL" conditions. (when everything's perfect)
You should always wait a little longer,
It does make a difference.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

I generally wait an hour between clear coats. Turn of the fans and let it outgas each time. After 4 coats and a 24-hour wait time I sand out the dirt and set the item ( entire car or just a panel) out in the sun for a few hours to drive out any remaining solvent. Then shoot three more coats of clear( 1 hour between coats). After 24 hours sand out any dirt then cut and polish. I've been using SPI Universal Clear or Glasurit 1:1 HS clear. Both look like glass but the SPI is way less expensive plus Barry is a good guy to talk to.

What spray gun are you using? That makes a big difference.

The pro's on the Forum may have better ideas..

regards

Ron
Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_ron
I generally wait an hour between clear coats. Turn of the fans and let it outgas each time. After 4 coats and a 24-hour wait time I sand out the dirt and set the item ( entire car or just a panel) out in the sun for a few hours to drive out any remaining solvent. Then shoot three more coats of clear( 1 hour between coats). After 24 hours sand out any dirt then cut and polish. I've been using SPI Universal Clear or Glasurit 1:1 HS clear. Both look like glass but the SPI is way less expensive plus Barry is a good guy to talk to.

What spray gun are you using? That makes a big difference.

The pro's on the Forum may have better ideas..

regards

Ron

You apply 7 coats of clear ? Is that normal ? How many coats of base do you use ?

I'm no painter but, I've never heard of anyone using that much clear.

THANKS !!

454 RATTLER
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

I have used that much clear... but only when I am burying paint graphics, so I can sand them flat.

The rule of thumb I have seen is that two coats is a minimum... but if you plan to sand and buff (which will make it "glassier") you need three or more.

For a one color repaint, I use 3-5 coats, depending on how straight the body is. That gives me enough paint film to sand some areas a little flatter.

I also allow one hour between coats. That is with the R-M Diamont DC92 clear. Using that clear I've never had a problem from excessive coats.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i do 3 & 3 , total of 6 coats . have done as many as 15 . depends on the product but most 2nd line clears are 2 coats and gone .
Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Everybody WANTS the wet glass look but the truth is you probably wont get it until you sand and buffIts takes experiance and an understanding of the materials...First off if you want that look forget using Nason clear no one should ever do all that work spraying extra coats of clear and then sanding and buffing with a low quality clear that'll never hold up...If you cant get the glass right out of the gun then go with a good clear and donyt waste your time....
I'm guessing your painting in a shop and not a booth so heres what I found works every time.......spray two coats and let dry 24 hrs then sand with 600 DA to remove trash and texture (no need to untape the car) prep and tack including the masking paper,apply two more coats.This will get you the most trash free job possible.If you apply more than two coats at a time You'll discover a new problem called "the urathane wave" even with the best of clears...14 coats of clear = 7 days minimum to apply but most likely longer .Theres a lot to know if your spraying that much clear ...For your average car two good wet coats sand and buff is plenty and any more than 4 is just a waste of time and money for someone thats learning.....
Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

if I'm using the cheaper grade clear...Nason and whatnot, I don't allow more than 20 minutes from start of one coat to the start of the next, it seems to help me avoid the dry edge where the two coats "meet". I like SPI Universal because I can allow the hour between coats and no dry edges. I also just learned I've been spraying with my pattern too wide, I tightened up my pattern to eight inches at eight inches from the panel, way better results even with cheap clears..
Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

corner lights are important so you can see your clear pattern. learn to watch the pattern and adjust distance and overlap as you go . i've noticed as i get older my gun hand aint as steady as it use to be . the iwata was hard to get use to. 8 inch pattern at 4-6 inches .

but if your looking to get glass from a gun go to work at macco for a year. you'll get more gun experience in a month than in a year anywhere else.

you dont have to be a killer painter but you have to be a bad *** buffer .................
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I know what you mean Shine this getting older thing is no fun. Went to pick up a door the other day and thought either these doors are getting heavier or I'am getting weaker.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

I expected to hear most guys saw that a couple of coats would be enough. Live and learn. As a pro painter, wouldn't you always use the same brand and type of paint ? (once you found one you like)

454 Rattler
Old 03-24-2012, 07:57 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

2 coats of clear is for car lot work. cheap paint 2 coats and gone. last about as long as they own it.

and yes swvalcon it gets harder every year .
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
2 coats of clear is for car lot work. cheap paint 2 coats and gone. last about as long as they own it.

and yes swvalcon it gets harder every year .
BULL!!! You need to get out more buddy...every body shop uses two coats for the average paint job..
Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

sorry cowboy but i don't do average paint jobs and have never met anyone who wanted an average job on their hotrod. this site is about hotrods . it is not about cheap car lot work .

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.