help porting 305 h.o. heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 05:16 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

help porting 305 h.o. heads

hi guys , i aquired a set of 416 casting 305 high output heads from a friend who ownes an auto salvage yard. they seem fine (lots of carbon though)and i need to get them tanked and checked.
they are 58 c.c. chambers,1.87 intake and 1.5 exhaust.
i learned a bit about 882 casting 350 heads from porting them at home. things like those heads were lacking on the exhaust side .
I have no knowledge on the 416 casting head though.
ultimately i would like to fit them to a 350 but i hear you all about choking itself to death at 4000 rpm.therefore i would like to make them the best 305 heads they can be.
what i need to know is what are the areas of these heads that need the most attention? do i gasket match the intake , exhaust,do i unshroud the valves?do i need to clean up the short turn radius much? what about the area where the exhaust comes around the valve,(i widened this area out in the 882's since it lacked in the exhaust.)
If anyone has done these heads over and had them flow benched please let me know where to attack.
if there is anyone with good knowledge of porting please let me know where to begin .thanks in advance , mike

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2004, 05:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have never done anything with those particular heads, but all chevy heads have about the same problems. The main area that needs attention is the bowl area. Bowl porting including the short side radius are where the most benifit can be found. Gasket matching will certainly not hurt any thing. I also like to completely remove all the casting rough and polish the exhuast ports. On the exhaust port I also like to just open up the port a little bit all the way around when I am smoothing it. There are pics in my album of heads I have done.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2004, 06:20 AM

Last photo:

in the first pic (i think),there is a lump it seems , is there a purpose for it?just wondering.
forgive my stupids , but ,by the bowls do you mean where the spark plug is ?or where the exhaust valve passes thru the exhaust port.
i'm still an amature,so to change the volumes on the heads to say 60 or so c.c. would be a formidable task.i would be able to unshroud the valves all the same or the like , but i wouldn't want to start to "drill" down and grind away, and then the measuring fun to get them all the same . no thanks.lol.
on the exhaust side i plan to take away all flash, take about 1/16" to 1/8 "off around the outside circle where the valve passes thru the middle ( ][ )<---- there.gasket match it to the header gasket , do the short turn radius (1/16 to 1/8 ")and polish.
what do you think of the plan so far. mike
Old 12-04-2004, 07:00 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:

how to port
http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm

There is more info in the Knowledge base from other numerious postings on the same.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

got that link earlier today, thanks. i was wondering if there was something particular to these heads, thanks mike.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

The only "bump" I can think of is where the valve guide boss passes through to the port. The bowl area is the area just below the valve inside the port. The chamber is the area that the top of the valves sit in.

You probably do not want to remove 1/16" and for sure not 1/8 inch anywhere on the heads other than maybe the bowl. In doing that with no experience you could easily grind right into the water passage and ruin your new heads. 1/32" inch of material removal in the exhaust port is plenty for what you are doing. That will get all of the casting flash out and enlarge the port just slightly.

There is not alot of need to port match the exhaust to the gasket. Headers will not line up real great with the ports unless you go with something high end. Some header gaskets are way larger than you want the port on a set of those light castings anyway.

Chris
Old 12-04-2004, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the info, it's going to be a project for the winter . i'll study more up on the link i got(it's on my favorites) when i get the heads cleaned and checked first.thanks again for the knowledge.mike
Old 12-04-2004, 03:04 PM

news to me

i came across a set of these heads a few years ago and didn't think much about them. i still have them and am getting ready to build an engine. i did a check on numbers and found about the valves but didn 't realize they were h.o. that is nice to know. i will have mine checked and possible do some polishing on them. i will use that link also. thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The last set of 305 (416) heads I ported and flowed came out to 233cfm@28" at high lift and 218cfm@28" at .400" lift.
Ex flow is typically 180+cfm. (1.94x 1.60" valves) after deshrouding, chamber size is 61cc.
Get the David Vizard S/A book "How to build Max performance Chevy Small Blocks on a Budget". read it know it, there will be a test. Everything in there about porting SBC heads is relevent to the 305 heads. They need a full work up.
it's all in there. Don;t bother with 2.02's in these heads. (decreased valve C/L spacing)
More reading here

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.