Help with Power glide trans.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help with Power glide trans..

I have a t-bucket I'm working on for a friend... It has a 350 Chevy motor with a power glide trans in it... There is holes in the bell housing and look's to be air cooled..(not sure if someone cut them are not).. Now the TC doesn't look to have any type of fins on it... So my question is.. How can I make sure if it needs a cooler are not ?? I want to be sure being I never set up a power glide before...Would it hurt to run one or what.. Thanks in advance.. Randy

Attached Images
File Type: bmp mm.bmp (380.2 KB, 566 views)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 PM

Air cooled glide

What you have is an air-cooled powergllide/ Good transmission. The holes are factory. Really simple and reliable trans. I would have a powerglide many times over before a 700r4. Just get yourself a rebuild kit, new direct drive drum(summit) and drive on. Powerglides are so simple that if you are over 12 years old and know how to read, you can rebuild one. It really doesnt need a cooler in a T-bucket, (no weight to pull). Should be fine for another 75000 (thousand) miles with a rebuild.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 AM

Last photo:

The TC also had a cooling shroud on it, can be seen here on Pg. 18 & 19.
http://www.transparts.ru/pdf/tc_gm_03_web.pdf
Old 06-05-2011, 01:02 AM

Are the fluid cooling ports plugged? That should give you some idea on how it was set up/built. Many air cooled Glides have been used for parts, or upgraded to function with a fluid cooler circuit. A converter with a shroud, and a "turbine" sheet metal, converter cover, AND the bellhousing holes is what makes it an air cooled unit. Those appear to be missing, except for the bellhousing holes. There should be a cooler by-pass valve in the front pump assembly; it diverts fluid if the trans fluid cooler becomes plugged, cooler lines get bent up and closed off, or if the trans does'nt have a functioning, fluid cooler, circuit, such as when it's an air cooled unit. IF possible, run an external fluid cooler; heat kills an auto trans. The Glide I built, and we installed in my nephews 350 powered, 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe, does'nt have an external fluid cooler, and has the standard style, converter cover. It does'nt seem to get too hot, but it also has'nt been driven very far at a time.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Thanks guy's.. I just wanted to make sure that it was OK to add a cooler, Or do I have to also change something inside to run the cooler... The TC seems to look like a basic TC, Doesn't seem to be a air cooled one... This car has been siting for the last 20 years..I'm redoing the whole thing...The lines looked to be plugged off,, Didn't see where there was some on it at one time... But the whole car was a big mess.. So I'm just trying to make sure I don't make a wrong turn here..Thanks

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.