Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help with PPG Deltron base coat paint and clear coat Please
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 05:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithkustoms
I read that at the top of the Deltron tech sheet. I did forget to mention it is the DBC Not the I. So on the tech seet for the base coat when it talks about high gloss it is ment after the clear coat? correct?

Any idea why it says "This technology is an easy-to-use as a one or two-component solvent-borne technology" ? Has Deltron EVER made a high gloss single stage ? I have no idea how old this paint is, I do know it still looks good, and the can is in good shape.

I also forgot to ask about reducer, Ive always herd that PPG paint is very picky about its reducers meaning no other reducer can be used but the deltron. Is this true as well?

And I was just reading more about the Deltron, when I noticed it says "to clear coat in 20mins, but after 24hrs it must be sanded and re-coated with the base before clear coat" Is this a bonding thing, Or if I deside to let the base cure before clear will it raise up on me? I dont plan to wait 24hrs, just geting the feel for the new to me paint.

thanks for the fast reply!
I don't know, but would say any quality urethane reducer if not a special reactive type, or from a lower line like omni could be used. Many use spi urethane reducer in ppg dbc (believe its is sort of modeled after the ppg dt reducers) and I use them in many different bases as well. Just used spi reducer in prospray base the last 3 cars I've shot. Your chromabase on the other hand, stick with the appropriate dupont basemaker, as there are more then just solvents in there.

Totally a bonding thing, and times may be conservative to cover there butt and depend on temps, but must apply clear over base within a certain time, or you lose chemical adhesion between the base and clear. But that said, some graphics guys who have to lay out a lot of graphics have said they have exceded the stated times without issues, but I prefer to stay within the times in the p sheets and not take the risk. Very seldom it becomes an issue, and if running out of time, if you can manage to lay on another coat of base or an intercoat clear before that time has expired, you have a 24 hour window again before you have to start laying clearcoat.