Help with price - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 03:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help with price

I usually dont do it this way . I like to do the job start to finish . A guy has a 1989 mustang he is doing the bodywork on and final blocking of hi-build primer.

He is bringing it over in a couple of days for me to look over it. Thought I would wet each panel one at a time with wax and grease remover to see how straight it is.

He wants me to mask, seal, base , clear , wet sand and buff, unmask cleanup.
He is going to pay for the paint , I will tell him what to buy. The car is silver , only exterior is going to be painted.
I am trying to guesstimate my time : Mask 2-3 hrs, Clean with wax and grease remover 1/2 hour, Apply sealer ( mix and spray ) 1 hr, Apply 3 coats base 2hr, Apply 3 coats clear 2 hr, Wet sand 4-6 hrs, Buff 4-6 hrs, unmask 1-2 hrs, cleanup 1-2 hrs.

Does this sound about right ?? Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

alot depends on whether he is a friend or not. If he's not then most body shops charge $65-75 an hr. If he's a friend, then maybe $50 an hr could be approiate.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

Not a friend, just trying to compare my guesstimation of hours to do the job with others more experienced. I seem to underestimate the time it takes to do certain jobs.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:53 AM

Charge what ever you feel is worth your time. I work on peoples carsd on the side here and there friends and strangers. I go with $50 an hour for sure. They can't complain because everyone that has ever been to a Monroe or something knows its about 65+ an hour. Sometimes t oapint is even more. People in my area charge around a $1000 to paint the car from where you are starting. but a good ideea maybe to leave it as an open estimate, put a price of $750 -$1000 depending on how much work is needed. Remember add up the hours you think it will take then add at least 2 more in this situation.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:20 AM

Last photo:

Looked at the car yesterday, he has actually done a pretty good job with the bodywork and sanding the hi-build primer. He finished in 400 grit but is going back over it with 600 since it is going to be silver metallic.

The bumpers, spoiler , lower body kit is off and will be painted separately from car. Dont have room to spray everything at once.

I know you have to be careful when spraying at different sessions with metallics. I am leaning towards charging $ 750.00 . He will buy all the materials except colorsanding products ( paper,compound, polish ).

I will be masking very little, applying wax and grease remover, tacking, applying 1 coat sealer, 3 base, 3 clear, wet sanding 1000/1200 depending on what is necessary, 1500, da 3000 grit, compound, polish, apply hand glaze, cleanup.

Amazing but in my mind he will probably still think that price is high ??
I know most people dont know the work involved. Sounds like a reasonable price to me.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:29 AM

Last photo:

Whatever you feel your time is worth is what it is worth.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
"Not a friend, just trying to compare my guesstimation of hours to do the job with others more experienced. I seem to underestimate the time it takes to do certain jobs."

You MUST make money or you might as well sit around for the afternoon watching "Leave it to Beaver" re-runs.

If you "seem to underestimate" you need to start bumping it up. This is how I have looked at doing that, I figure out what I think would be right and then after all that figuring I bump it up a few bucks higher than that. Then I KNOW I have enough.

When you can do this work, you usually have work lined up for months. There is ALWAYS people looking for the "deal". Don't sell yourself short, if you are cheaper than the shop down the street, you ARE the "deal"!

Some times I feel you have got to be paid for your skills and knowledge as more so than "time" spent.

If you are real good at fixing a dent, you can do it perfect in half the time of the average guy, why charge for half the time of the average guy? You might as well not get good, right? You DESERVE to be paid for your skills.

Brian
Old 05-30-2009, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Brian, I stay pretty busy. One job always leads to another. I use to think I had to compete with Maaco,s cheap jobs even though I was using good quality products and turning out nice work.

I have kind of moved beyond the statement " Maaco can do it cheaper " .
that you sometimes hear. I began keeping a log book of hrs a while back and it helps.
I never thought about it in terms of being paid for what I know instead of just time involved. Most professional people do this of course , I guess thats why my daughters orthodontist , pediatrician get paid well. Not just there time at that moment is involved.

I painted my first car 17 years ago , look back at some of the jobs I did then , compared to what I do now. Night and day difference.

I have a friend alot older than me ,75 yrs old, been painting since his 20,s. Does mostly Harley Davidsons cycles, flames and all. Fabulous work , a perfectionist. He has taught me alot. I have been talking paint with him for 15 years. I have about 10 dvd,s on painting and probably 8 books. I rewatch and reread alot. A friend of mine owns a restoration shop and sends me business also.

I read 2- 3 hrs everyday on forums and comment when I feel knowledgeable about the subject. I have probably painted more than 35 cars mostly exterior repaints., a few blends, and piece parts. I strive to learn everything possible.

After all this, I only thought about it in terms of time it takes to do the job. Not that my experience should play some part in it. I guess thats the polish coming out in me.

Once again thanks Brian for your comments, sincerely John.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Painter
I I began keeping a log book of hrs a while back and it helps.
John.
John, this is a very good idea, but take it one step further. Post a note on the window of the car. You are way more likely to post every minute. This worked like a charm for me.

Don't sell yourself short, you have got to be paid for more than your time.

Brian
Old 05-31-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Painter
I usually dont do it this way . I like to do the job start to finish . A guy has a 1989 mustang he is doing the bodywork on and final blocking of hi-build primer.

He is bringing it over in a couple of days for me to look over it. Thought I would wet each panel one at a time with wax and grease remover to see how straight it is.

He wants me to mask, seal, base , clear , wet sand and buff, unmask cleanup.
He is going to pay for the paint , I will tell him what to buy. The car is silver , only exterior is going to be painted.
I am trying to guesstimate my time : Mask 2-3 hrs, Clean with wax and grease remover 1/2 hour, Apply sealer ( mix and spray ) 1 hr, Apply 3 coats base 2hr, Apply 3 coats clear 2 hr, Wet sand 4-6 hrs, Buff 4-6 hrs, unmask 1-2 hrs, cleanup 1-2 hrs.

Does this sound about right ?? Any advice appreciated.

Do you Own your Business ?
Or are you a side job painter ?

It does matter reguarding price... Insurnace...Warranty ???
Hazardous waste fees ?
Do you have a Business license ?
I will assume you do Not own your Own shop
More information is needed

52F1

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.