help with proper cam selection - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
I already have given you a much better alternative many times. And that is picking one based on application. Displacement, target use, and induction and exhaust are ALL more important than compression.

DCR means what exactly? It's a fancy way of renaming cranking compression. Hell your target DCR is again dependent on loading and fuel so any "target DCR" is void as soon as I suggest changing fuels, cylinder heads, or in some borderline cases even induction and exhaust.

DCR is a RESULT that can be checked to help provide assurance- it is NOT the starting point.

I know you attempted to simplify things, but you not only over-simplified it but also used one of the worst metrics as a scale. A more common set of metrics would be RPM and displacement which is more accurate than your approach but still leaves a lot of room for problems.

The plain and simple truth is that you CANNOT simplify cam selection by that much and still claim to have valid results.

From what I understand your "research" came from the cam catalog of Comp, you gathered your results by selecting the target static compression ratio listed in the cam descriptions. You also chose to throw away anything they listed about RPM, induction, exhaust, usage, etc. Interesting that your argument is that their recommendations are to be trusted because of their experience yet you started by throwing away 80% of what they recommended as you deemed it irrelevant.

My "alternative" is to simply use the traditional methods of cam selection and throw away this silly idea that there is a singular trend that can be followed in cam selection, especially a trend based on such an irrelevant parameter.

DCR is a CHECK, not a target.
Mark Twain said it best.....
"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"
I'm very tired of trying to make sense to you. You've been on this forum long enough to have learned something useful, but all of it seems to have avoided you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.