Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help! Putting AC back into my Cutlass
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Help! Putting AC back into my Cutlass

Hey everyone! This is gonna be an on going thread for awhile since its gonna be part of my winter upgrades that I plan on doing to the car. I have never done anything like this before so trying to give myself plenty of time to get educated on the subject and to get all the right parts saved up. I have an '86 Olds Cutlass with a sbc 355. My dad took the AC out when he did the swap from the factory v6 to the sbc.

The dryer and Evaporator are still in the car so the only thing I am missing is the Compressor itself and the Condenser. I plan on swapping my front accessories and pullies to late 80s f-body setup with the serp and v belt setup. V belt for power steering and serpentine for alt, wp, and ac. If I were able to get a factory replacement AC condensor for my car how would I make the lines bolt up to a R-134a compressor? I think was it early 90s? they made the switch from the old R12 to R-134a. Any idea what problems ill run into getting an AC system back into my cutlass? I do want to utilize the factory AC control system that is behind the dash. Can I put an R-12 AC compressor into my car if I find a late 80s camaro at the bone yard?

Thanks for the help... again lol