Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help! Putting AC back into my Cutlass
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseay1949 View Post
I would never use a junkyard compressor, you're just asking for trouble (been there - done that - learned my lesson! not worth swapping three out to get one good one). The prices on new compressors have come down, so I always go that route. Even "remanufactured" compressors I have found to be junk, and either be noisy or leak or go out all together six months later.

There's nothing wrong with using factory components designed for R12, and retrofitting them for R134 so long as it's done properly. That means change the filter-drier, new expansion valve or orifice tube, and completely flush the entire system with approved AC flush solvent, and evacuate and recharge after installing R134 charge port adapters and adding synthetic oil. If there is any trace or R12 or mineral oil in the system, it will mix with the R134 and synthetic oil and create acid that will destroy the new compressor.

Yeah I was wondering about the whole reusing a stock compressor. I will probably just buy a new one that way I don't have to redo it a couple months later. Is their a "how to" online somewhere that show the steps to change from R12 to R134? Also what will I do about lines between all the devices. Is there a standard used between vehicles? Will my condenser hook up to the compressor and dryer. Now you said about changing the dryer. Are they specific to R12 and R134? Will the evaporator need to be changed? I guess Im mostly worried about the lines. I know I can get a replacement condenser and compressor but i don't know how I will go about hooking them up.Thanks for the speedy response btw