Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help! Putting AC back into my Cutlass
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseay1949 View Post
... something that may further complicate things is your wanting to run a serpentine belt .. I am pretty sure all '78-'88 G-body cars used v-belts, and the compressor was a R4 (radial 4 piston - looks like a pancake) .. you may want to get a compressor and brackets of a '89-'92 camaro or caprice .. but when you start mixing years and models the lines may end up having to be custom made .. we have done it before, take all the ends that will work, get some bulk hose and cut it to length, then match mark the clock positions of how the ends and hose align, and take it to your local parts store or tractor shop that can make ac or hydraulic lines.

Whatever you do don't re-use that drier .. not only is it probably full of moisture and debris from the system being open, but that desiccant bag inside is saturated with R12 and mineral oil residue .. it's like a grenade waiting to go off in your freshly repaired ac system!
As long as I can get the hoses made somewhere It wont be too big of a deal. I live in a farm town and there are lots of tractor related stores around so Im sure someone can make me a line.

Okay so assuming I stick with the front accessory layout from the camaro I will need:
a new compressor for the camaro.. $300
a condensor for my cutlass... $100
a dryer for cutlass.. $20
$20 orifice tube

these are all rock auto prices. I mean hell if I can do the whole AC swap for 600-700 that would be awesome!

Last edited by zildjian4life218; 07-24-2012 at 09:28 AM.