Help - quality of TRW suspension parts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 02:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help - quality of TRW suspension parts

Hey Folks,
What are your opinions on the quality of TRW suspension
parts (control arm bushings, ball joints, etc). I purchased a kit from Ricks 1st Gen Camaros and took it to the machine shop for installation. Guy called me back and said the rubber came out of the first upper control arm bushing, his general opinion is that TRW is a poor quality part and has recommended I get Moog parts instead.
The kit I purchased from Ricks was the major overhaul kit with pitman, idler, tie rods etc and cost $299. The quote for the mechanic was $142 for upper and lower bushings and ball joints. I can see the cost really escalating by the time I also get the pitman, idler, tie rods, end links, etc.... I'll consider spending the extra money if there really is a difference in quality... Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated...
thanks,
mwm

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 06:39 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have used TRW parts for years with no problems. Many people feel that a certain brand is better than another for various reasons.

As an added note. I drove a tractor trailer for a couple of years. Many times I went to different factories to make deliveries or pick-ups. People would be amazed how often the products for competitors are made on the same assembly line, just to be placed in boxes with different names on them. I don't know that that is the case with those parts, but wouldn't surprise me. I do know that there is a factory in Peru Indiana that makes alot of rubber bushings that don't have their name on them.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:10 AM
Last photo:

Nothing at all wrong with TRW parts, they are a well established company in the auto parts business.

Vince
Old 01-08-2004, 05:15 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

TRW has been the "standard" for quality parts for many years. I even have a brother in law that is an engineer for them, not that that means anything. When I buy their parts, I don't worry.

That is not to say that they don't have problems.

Fram used to be a very respected filter company.......seems lately, their reputation has taken a beating. So, you never know.

Budget RVs
Old 01-08-2004, 10:20 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

TRW is an O.E.M. supplier for many of those parts. If the stuff is good enough for the manufacturers I don't think you'll have a problem with it...
If the "rubber" came out of the bushing I would say it's the installers fault. He was probably pushing on the center sleeve instead of the outer sleeve. If that's the case he owes you a bushing...
Mark
Old 01-08-2004, 10:36 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Cool

Couldn't agree more with Astro. Your mechanic butchered your part.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:00 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think you're right, they screwed it up when they were pressing it in... Since I brought the parts I doubt I'll have any luck getting them to replace the bushing.... only $9, and fortunately they stopped at the first one. Now the hassle of trying to find a shop to do it

I would like to add a note about Rick's 1st Gen Camaros, the company that sold me the parts in the first place. I called them to day to talk about this problem and about returning the kit. The guy I talked to (Chris) also felt TRW was a quality part. He said they stand behind what they sell and if for any reason I wasn't satisfied to return the kit, along with the torn up bushing for a full refund. They will certainly be seeing more of my business. I'll add a review under the company listings...

Thanks again everyone.
Mike
Old 01-08-2004, 02:58 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hey Mike,
Find a good front end alignment shop. You'll have to have the car re-aligned after taking it all apart anyway so find a decent shop and talk to them about doing the bushing work and then aligning the car after you get it back together.
Mark
Old 01-08-2004, 06:28 PM
beer and time

Last journal entry: right after paint
Last photo:

TRW rocks. simple, huh?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.