help removing rounded off damper bolt? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

help removing rounded off damper bolt?

I was going to sell my trans am, but the highest offer ive gotten so far was to trade for a really old dodge ram with lots of rust and a bad engine and transmission.. i politely said no. Im not sure why i cant get 6k for my car, but i guess ill just have to keep it for now. I traded a truck worth 8k for the car then i put 5k in it within the last few months, sold almost everything i own to fix the cars issues, but still is running like crap and i cant figure it out. Because of this I lost my job because i couldnt make it work. So now i own a car that isnt reliable, some clothes, and a laptop. Now to the point... Im extremely broke and have $2 to do till the first of next month, lovely eh? I need to adjust the valves on the car, make sure TDC is right, and stop the carb leak.. again. So i need to turn the engine over by hand. Even with all plugs removed, the bolt will hold the socket barely at all so the engine wont turn. I tried doing the valves by ear and i just cant tell when the clacking stops and they always turn out to be too tight. What is another way i can turn this damn thing over by hand with the bolt rounded off?

Also I would really like to remove the bolt also if at all possible. How can i do this with it being rounded off? IF i can get it off, does the pull sit on the snout of the crankshaft, or will the belt pull the damper up when the bolt comes out? Also will an bolt do for the pully or will i need a $pecial bolt?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

If its an automatic take off the torque converter dust cover and put a wrench on the converter to flexplate bolts and turn it like that.The balancer is an interference fit to the crank about 1 1/2" the pully is bolted to the balancer so it shouldn't come loose if you get the balancer bolt out and if it does you got bigger problems. There is also a tool you can use to turn the flexplate.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

I was an auto but i swapped it to a manual... geez i have some horrible luck.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
For the rounded bolt head. Previously in a reply, it was mentioned that there are sockets made that you pound onto the bolt head, & then remove the bolt, I personally have not seen one, but I've never looked for one either, hopefully that poster will reply as to where to get them. As for replacing the bolt with a different one, No

Turning the engine by hand, there is a crow foot type puller
you may be able to rent one at one of the chain stores auto zone or the like, the link is a picture of it
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...pullers&page=2
Good luck,
Rich
PS Where do you live?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

I live in mississippi. I dont know what to do with this car, its been stressing me out way to much. Ive never been a quitter, but i wish i would have gave up on this car long ago, its cost me alot and no better than when i got it. If I could part it out, i know i could get at least 7k in parts at the very least. Maybe ill be able to have my cousing pick it up and do it here. Who knows? I think ill just get a motorcycle when i get some money and get back on my feet.

Well thanks for the info guys. You all have been a big help with all the questions ive had. Its time i finally give up and get rid of this car. No more money coming out of my pocket, NO NO NO!
Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The thumbnail is an example of the sockets richard stewart 3rd mentioned.

They're pounded onto the head of the bolt (whatever's left of it), then turned CCW. The way the flutes of the socket ID are angled, this makes the socket grip tighter as the bolt's loosened.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sockets 003.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	45639  

Last edited by cobalt327; 05-13-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

What are they called?
Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker444
What are they called?
"Bolt Extractor".
Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

A lot of times (depending on how bad the bolt head is) you don't even need to "pound" them. The helical cut "blades" for lack of a better term will pull it up tight once you start to turn it. The set I have is made by Irwin and they are handy to have around.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

If you can get one of those bolt extractor tools attached, put the wrench handle on top of something substantial on the left side (frame rail if accessible), tie it down so it won't go flying, put some wood behind the radiator in case it does, disconnect the power to the ignition coil, then bump the starter a couple of times to loosen the bolt.

A large Stillson wrench attached from the top (open end of jaws down), with the handle (or a cheater) UNDERNEATH something on the RIGHT side might also work if you don't have the bolt extractor.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.