HELP WITH Restrictor plate questions!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2004, 07:36 PM

Last journal entry: Red, my second T--Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HELP WITH Restrictor plate questions!!!

I have a friend/customer who has a 350 bored .030 with edelbrock aluminum heads, a comp cam, and a tunnel ram with 2 -650 edelbrock carbs on it, in a 1500 lb T-Bucket. His Sanderson HPC coated headers keep turning gray (second set). The header people tell him he is either running lean,(not likely) or overheating the headers. I am of the opinion that there is too much unburnt fuel passing the exhaust valves, and burning in the headers, and heating them up, turning them gray. )He goes through plugs, black and sooty, like I go through clean socks!)
My question is this. Has anyone tinkered with making a restrictor plate to go under the 650's to reduce the airflow through the primaries? He is insistant that he keep the "look" and run two 4 bbls, and the smallest Edelbrocks that I can find are still 500's. I had envisioned a 1" 4-hole spacer plate that I can mig weld closed and machine a taper so that I can control the flow through the front barrels. I imagine 7/8" to 1" primary venturi would be adequate for his around town cruising, and I think I would be able to jet it down to be acceptable.
Has anyone experimented with this, or am I the only Idiot that has these kind of ideas?????

MF

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 08:42 PM

The car is running on the primaries most of the time anyway. A restricter plate wouldn't help.Even restricting the primaries won't change the mixture. The carbs are too rich, the usually come that way. If the timing is retarded too much the exhaust temp will be high.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:49 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

I don't know about the rest. plate, but what about unhooking one carb? leave them both on, but basically only one carb is getting gas. put a plate under the dummy carb.....
only thing i can think of, is would the air/fuel mixture flow to all 8 cylinders appropriately in the tunnel ram?......
Old 08-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Running a restrictor plate will screw with the boosters ability to meter the fuel. I think overall it would work, but I'd recommend a couple mechanical Holley 450s. I have seen them pretty cheap on Ebay. You just have to keep your eyes open.

I am not a Rochester guy, but anyone have any thoughts about two Duo-jets? How well would that work?

Here is one 450 almost new.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVWhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

Here is a second one new.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 08-02-2004, 04:52 AM

Last journal entry: Red, my second T--Bucket
Last photo:

Thanks for the thoughts Guys. As far as dummying one carb, I'm afraid that the front cylinders are gonna run really lean, as the carbs are centered over their respective group of cylinders. I have tried to get him to switch to Holley 450's but he has to have "THE LOOK". I guess what I'm asking is has anyone had any experience with restrictor plates?
Lluciano77 says that the booster ability to meter the fuel will be affected. Can't I change jets, metering rods, and springs to allow the boosters to work under lessened flow conditions? I only want to restrict the primaries, and leave the secondaries alone. COME ON GUYS, PUT THOSE THINKING CAPS ON!!
Thanks

MF
Old 08-02-2004, 06:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Go to lighter springs on the metering rods. This engine setup won't produce enough vacuum at idle to allow the idle circuits to open correctly on AFB type carbs. The result is an over rich condition at idle. The kit is about $8 per carb (if memory serves) and takes all of 10 minutes to install.

Centerline
Old 08-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Restrictor plate???

Why not just tune the carbs better. Geez, Make things complicated.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:09 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Have you all gone insane(restictor plate thingy)?!?

2 650s are fine for a 350, just TUNE THEM!

damn.....

running rich would NOT cause headers to heat up, if anything the headers should be cooler. Fuel does not burn in the headers, if it did you would hear it. Swapping out carbs will not help you learn how to tune one.

BTW, why are you running two carbs on a normal aspirated engine?
Old 08-02-2004, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 87442lover
This statement doesn't make sense. The last time I looked carburated engines were normally aspirated. Did someone change the definition when I wasn't looking?

Centerline
Old 08-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Centerline
This statement doesn't make sense. The last time I looked carburated engines were normally aspirated. Did someone change the definition when I wasn't looking?

Centerline
You are joking right?

most non supercharged or turbo charged engines(normally aspirated) use 1 carb, or the odd 3x2, or 6x2 intakes that are meant for BB's, or other high performance engines that can use that extra flow

Most 471, 671, 871, etc. setups will have two carbs on top, or the rare 2x4bbl BB intakes, this is what I'm speaking of.

Not that 2x4bbls would be way too much or anything for a 350, but for someone thats not going to bother tuning them to the engine it's a bit much.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Quote:
most non supercharged or turbo charged engines(normally aspirated) use 1 carb, or the odd 3x2, or 6x2 intakes that are meant for BB's, or other high performance engines that can use that extra flow
If you will re-read the first post in this thread he is talking about dual quads on at tunnel ram manifold, not a supercharger or turbo setup. Even by your definition, his engine is normally aspirated. That's why your first statement didn't make sense to me.

Centerline
Old 08-03-2004, 06:37 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Sorry, then I should have said why is he running 2 4bbls on a non blown 350 to clearify.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.