Hot Rod Forum banner

help rod/cam clearence

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  k-star 
#1 ·
400sbc bored out .040" with a stock crank (3.75) and 5.7 scat rods with kb pistons and a voodoo 60101 cam. When the timing is set at TDC The lobe hits the rod on the stud head side...anything i can do?

Any help!

Thanks

Mike

#2 ·
I assume when you say sutd head you mean the cap side of the rod. if your using the 7/16 cap screw does it use a washer under the head? if so you may obtain the clearance needed by discarding the washer. also make shure you are checking the clearance whith your timing chain on (not just rotating the cam to see it hits the rod at tdc) . if all else fails you may need to trade your cam for a small base grind.

#3 ·

Lets get a bit more info.

Did you degree the cam when you installed it???

How many rod bolts make contact with the cam lobes???

Are they the 3/8" bolt or 7/16" bolt rods??? "I" or "H" beam???

Keith

#4 · (Edited)
i havnt degreed the cam and the rod bolts are 3/8", the timing chain is on and and at the O.E.M location on the timing gear. The rods are scat's stock replacment that are "I" beam rods. It hits the cam at the bolt head end(not the side were the nut is). it also contacted on the 1 2 and 4 throws were the rods connect to the crank

and the machine shop said i could grind it down and not have to worry about balancing it..is this true?

#5 ·
SBCfan04 said:
400sbc bored out .040" with a stock crank (3.75) and 5.7 scat rods with kb pistons and a voodoo 60101 cam. When the timing is set at TDC The lobe hits the rod on the stud head side...anything i can do?

Any help!

Thanks

Mike
That happens, with the 5.7 rod you're into the common problem that 383 builders have of cam lobes and rod's occupying the same space at the same time.

It looks ugly, but the usual solution is to grind the offending rod parts to where you can get about .050 inch clearance.

Bogie

#6 ·
rods

First thing you need to do is degree the cam to where your going to run it.

You can grind the bolts at the heads a minimum amount to get .050 clearance. It will not hurt the balance.

As a tech tip i use a black tie wrap that is about .055" thick to check my clearance. It is soft enough that if you get a little carried away while rotating the engine over and you pinch it, it will not hurt anything.

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.