HELP!! Sanded roof, epox primer ready? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 02:46 PM
have a pheasant plucking day

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HELP!! Sanded roof, epox primer ready?

I have been outside for the last 3hrs sanding the roof of my car so I can lay down epoxy primer on it but I cannot tell if its ready for it yet or not. I figured that I would just sand it down to bare metal and primer it so later I can go back and use a little filler where needed but I have been sanding for aprx. 3hrs and its not down to the bare metal but it has a blackish tent to it along with little spots of rust that just looks as if there stained in. I first started off with a knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder then moved to 60grit sand paper on an electric palm sander but it still just looks black.
Here are some pics and any input you can give would be MOST appreciated as I am on a limited time frame but also dont want to ruin it. I also thought maybe there was some old factory primer that I just cant cut threw so I sprayed a Test section with some Aircraft paint stripper and let it set for 15 min to see if it would lift anything..........nada, not a damn thing, so I am a little confuse

This is a pic of what I started off with

and this is where I am at

here is a close up

again any help is most welcome
Thanks
GM

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

I am not an expert (they will be along, I am certain), but that looks like a form of corrosion to me. Sometimes the steel "blackens" instead of the usual orangish rust (or is a mix of both).

Im guessing you will need some kind of rust neutralizer/converter before painting, but please wait for others to chime in.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:54 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You need to get a D/A sander and some 80 grit discs to get through that stuff . It'll go much faster than what you've been using also. Trust me . I stripped a '52 Mercedes back in '85 with a D/A sander . It didn't take all that long, and it had several coats of paint .
Old 09-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

If you put some phosphoric acid on there, it will loosen up any loose paint and it will remove the surface rust if there is any. Leave it on there for awhile and you can rinse it off with water. You can put the epoxy primer on after.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

I have a small 6" D/A sander but its broke. I have some week Hydrochloric acid but I think it will actually eat the metal itself, so I dont think I want to go that route.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

Phosphoric acid before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	48214   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	48215   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	48216  
Old 09-20-2010, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

I found some of that Klean strip acid etch at homedepot http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Clean...atalogId=10053
its only $15 but not sure if chemical is the way to go. I do have a homedepot near me so if this is what needs to be done then this is what I may have to do. I actually took vacation from 1 job so I can get this done before the snow and cold gets here so its almost a must.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

They sell it under a few different names. The stuff I use is green. It works, I have already done it and the paint has been on for years. It says you can use body filler over it also. It kills any surface rust. It takes a while for any rust to reapear when it's left out in the elements without any primer put over it.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
They sell it under a few different names. The stuff I use is green. It works, I have already done it and the paint has been on for years. It says you can use body filler over it also. It kills any surface rust. It takes a while for any rust to reapear when it's left out in the elements without any primer put over it.
I called my local homedepot and they do have it in stock, in the description it doe's say that it inhibits flash rusting so thats a plus
Old 09-20-2010, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

This is a frame before and after. It was only on there less than 2 hours. I had it rained on and it did not rust. It will get surface rust on again if left unprimed but it takes awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	48217   Click image for larger version

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	48218  
Old 09-20-2010, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

I guess my only concern with the klean strip prep/etch is, will it take off the black? I believe that may be an old rust converter as it looks to have brush marks in it, but whatever it is, the Aircraft stripper wouldnt even touch it and that stuff is strong. I used it once to take undercoating off and old gas tank that was covered with the stuff, it ate through it with no problems.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

I pour it in a jar and brush it on with a paint brush.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Its hard to tell but it could be a few things..it would help to know how old the car is...
You should try the stripper again in a small spot, put a thick coat on ,pour it out of the can and make a little puddle about the size of a soft ball, let it sit 30 min,then scrape it off with a razor scraper ,it might come off clean. It could also be old lacquer primer ,in a very (small pitted ) (sandpaper) like surface that your not getting deep enough into ,sometimes a wire brush or wheel works with the stripper try the same thing to see if it softens it enough to get it off with a razor scraper,the razor is the key and you'll need a whole box of them...
as far as the acid goes use only phosphoric,be careful and pay attention to what your doing ...I prefer Ospho because it doesnt need to be neutralized.everything you need to know (pros and cons) about it is on a thread called "the Ospho solution" complete with videos and step by step proceedures...
...Heres a couple short vids on stripping (paint stripping ) http://www.streetfire.net/video/chem...xy_2053679.htm

http://www.streetfire.net/video/usin...-2_2050902.htm

Last edited by deadbodyman; 09-20-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

I always wonder if that prep is necessary. The epoxy should seal out all moisture. Rust will not keep on going without oxygen. Rust won't form rust, it's not perpetual.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

The decklid in the picture has lacquer paint on it. I brushed it on right over the top. I have left some of it on other stuff without rinsing it off with water. It becomes sticky after it's on a few days without rinsing it off. I leave it on overnight when there is lacquer paint on the car. It will loosen some of the lacquer paint. The factory primer is some tuff stuff, it does not seem to do much to that.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.