I I am in the process of beginning to build a sbc, under some rules.
1. Methanol fuel only
2. Can only be 360 cubic inches or less
3. Flat top pistons only and no pistons above deck
4. carb can be a 850 cfm are less
5. has to be a Chevy
6. heads can only be stock production straight plug steel heads, with no angle milling and no milling of the intake side, or porting or polishing or port matching.
7. Have to use a stock crankshaft and steel connecting rods
The motor will be used on oval track. My thoughts are a vortec head would probably be my best bet, as well as a 400 sbc with a smaller crank and longer rods would give me a higher rpm engine with more compression. I might be out of my mind but itís a thought. How much compression can I go with a standard bore (side wall thickness)? I read on one of the gas company sites that ideal compression for methanol was 15-17 to 1 and that just seems unreal to me. If you have any ideas besides milling the head, let me know. I am trying to put a sprint car together for my father-in-law. I feel like I am running on and on here but as far as the cam, any ideas. It has to be a flat tappet or solid cam no rollers. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank for reading.