Help on setting timing sbc suggestions. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help on setting timing sbc suggestions.

Hello guys I just got my truck back the other day and everything is running well on my 350 sbc with new aluminum heads but I have a quick question and need some ideas. My timing tab is the most common 2 oclock spot and matches my balancer fine but I changed out my power steering pump factory bracket with a new aluminum aftermarket bracket and the bracket goes out in front of the water pump and its hard for me to really get my timing light to flash on my balancer reall well to set my timing. My balancer is black and has timing degree markings on it and I put a white mark of paint across 16 degrees btdc but without being able to get my light to flash on it good enough I cant really tell where its at. I can just faintly see the mark but cant see anything else to see what advance is etc. Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 PM

extend the paint to your pulleys or something you can see
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I've killed about a million brain cells just thinking about this. If my T wasn't torn down I'd try it, but thinking outside the box, could a person time it off of #6, marking the damper on the opposite side with a #6 TDC mark or timing tape? Or have I got way too many neurons running around inside my head?

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 04-06-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
I've killed about a million brain cells just thinking about this. If my T wasn't torn down I'd try it, but thinking outside the box, could a person time it off of #6, marking the damper on the opposite side with a #6 TDC mark or timing tape? Or have I got way too many neurons running around inside my head?
why would you use #6?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Thinking it's phased 180* away from #1, and it might give some idea of what total timing advance is for instance, with a dial back light or a timing tape applied 180 degrees from TDC on the damper. I'm probably thinking way too far out of the box with this idea, it's been a long day.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

#6 fires in the same TDC spot on the balancer as #1 does. 360 degrees later.

There are 720degrees in the complete 4 cycle engine (2 crank turns)
Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The cylinders fire 90degrees apart on a V8.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Hello thanks for the tip I will put lines on my pulley and see if that helps. I can kind of see it but without the light angle right on it and things are going so fast at 900rpm idle its kind of a faint mark but I get really close and get initial just fine but I still want to see my advance and change accordingly. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:25 PM

The white mark needs to be on the balancer TDC mark.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 AM

You can set the initial advance using #1 or #6, whichever is most convenient. I use #6 because it is easier to hook up the timing light on the passenger side of the engine using the 12V lug on the back of the alternator for the power supply. Using #6, I don't have to lay the timing light cables over the engine and risk getting them caught in the fan.

If you have a 0 to 360 degree timing tape on the damper, or the damper is marked off at least 0 to 90 degrees, set the initial timing advance at 12 - 13 degrees with the engine idling no more than 800 RPM, with the vacuum advance source on the engine plugged. The idle should be no higher than 800 RPM in order to set the initial timing advance because the mechanical (centrifugal) advance starts advancing the timing about 900 RPM or sometimes as high as 1100 RPM on some distributors that are designed to be used with a radical camshaft. That will be the true indication of the initial timing advance, without centrifugal or vacuum advance. Set the INITIAL advance at 12 - 13 degrees, then hook up the vacuum advance and the INTERMEDIATE timing advance will bump up to 22-25 degrees, then spin the engine to 2500 RPM and the TOTAL advance will stop at 34 -35 degrees. .

Since most people have a radical camshaft (long duration-low vacuum) in their engines, it is difficult or impossible to determine the initial advance. The only way we could determine TDC and the initial advance on our 355 CI SBC powered Jr. Fuel dragster was to use a buzzer attached to the Joe Hunt Scintilla magneto.

Last edited by MouseFink; 04-08-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32 View Post
Hello guys I just got my truck back the other day and everything is running well on my 350 sbc with new aluminum heads but I have a quick question and need some ideas. My timing tab is the most common 2 oclock spot and matches my balancer fine but I changed out my power steering pump factory bracket with a new aluminum aftermarket bracket and the bracket goes out in front of the water pump and its hard for me to really get my timing light to flash on my balancer reall well to set my timing. My balancer is black and has timing degree markings on it and I put a white mark of paint across 16 degrees btdc but without being able to get my light to flash on it good enough I cant really tell where its at. I can just faintly see the mark but cant see anything else to see what advance is etc. Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks
Eric
I would mount a rigid pointer somewhere where it can be easily seen w/the timing light, then set the engine to TDC using the existing tab and damper line. Then use a timing tape, aligning the new pointer w/TDC on the tape.

More at Make a timing tape.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 AM

Last photo:

Hello guys here is an update. It was not as bright out yesterday and I got my timing light back out and after trying different angles I was able to get my light to shine just at the right angle to set my timing with the marks painted different colors for tdc and initial timing and vacuum advance and mechanical timing. My balancer has markings for 0 to 50 degrees and the 180 markings as well but they are not colored and I painted the balancer black so it would not rust. So I have to put paint markings on what I am looking for to get it set. I got it all set up with initial, mechanical and vacuum advance set just right. Thanks guys for the input appreciate it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.