help on simple 351w Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2003, 12:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

help on simple 351w Questions

when you guys talk about the 351 how do you know if its a w ,c, or whatever... but ive read around the board that if its modified its called a 351M? modified internal or externaly? does it matter?

i got a 351 i dont know if its modfied internaly.i dont think it is. the guy who sold it to me said it was a 351w.....but my question is.... its got a k&n filter,edlbrock performer intake, edelbrock carb, msd coil ,and msd spark plugs. dual exhaust flowmasters........IS it called a 351windsor still. or a 351m????????

also now that i told you what ive got...what should be the igniton timming on it....
the cars running like **** right now...i had a friend set the timing at 10* and set the idle at about 850rpms but it still ran like ****,,,and i drove it later on that day, and when i would stop at a stop sign or a light signal and idle about 20-30 seconds it sounds like it wants to turn off so i put in on netruel and give it a little gas.. so it wont turn on so when the light turns green i put in on drive and take off....but when i take off it takes off like it wants to turn off..... i just want it to run ok and not worry about turning off on me.
i dont want to modifled the engine anymore i just want this car to be my weekend nightriderif you know what i mean. thanksany advice would be great

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Last photo:

Well, the 351w is called a "windsor". I believe because it was make in the Windsor Ontario Canada Ford factory. Its very similar to the 289/302 in size and appearance. If will have rather tall, narrow valve covers and the thermostat housing sticks straight out the front of the intake.

The 351c or 351m ( c is for Cleveland and m is for Modified) is in a class by itself. The "c" and "m" engines will have a rather shorter and wider and fatter valve cover and the thermostat housing sticks straight up out of the time cover area, directly in front of the intake manifold. ( if my memory serves me correctly anyway! LOL)

As far is it not wanting to idle, it could by caused by lots of different or combined problems. You may be better off taking it to a good shop and having it checked over good for things like compression, vacuum leaks, carb problems, ign problems and so on. Maybe thats why the guy sold the car to begin with! LOL Who knows.

Mark

Read up on the 351s here.

and here too.

Last edited by Jmark; 10-18-2003 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:32 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

The 351W (Windsor) is a smallblock is just like a 302 or 5.0 with a raised deck.

The 351C (CLeveland) is a midsized block. The Cleveland heads can were used on the 302 to make a BOSS 302.

The 351M is a midsized block that can use Cleveland heads as well.

Your timing should be at 34o to 36o total. Clean your plugs and tune your carb with a vacuum guage.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:37 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

easiest way i know of to tell them apart, is the W has the h20 inlet cast as part of the intake manifold, the C and M blocks have the h20 inlet directly on the block.

351 M is a 400 destroked to a 351. shares some components with the C.

a W will never be a M. or a C. no one is really sure what the M stands for.

the W is in the same family as the 289, and 302. the 351 has a taller deck height.
the C and M are in the same family.
different blocks totally.
don't have the timing specs handy..... sorry.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.