Hot Rod Forum banner

HELP! spark jumping from wires to the plugs like crazy (long post)!!!!!!!!

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Blown72Camaro 
#1 ·
Well I thought I had some bad plugs or wires to start with as it had a little miss to it. So I try new plugs, I knew my plugs/wires had been in for a long while but the dist is a band new assembly Mallory Unilite.(as in like 2 weeks old)

Anyways so I dident get any results from new AC Delco 44's I just put in that I normaly run and decide to get a new set of MSD wires.

Here is where I found the problem...I got the last wire on as it was getting dark and I went inside to wash my hands. When I came back out I was about to put the hood down when I noticed that the spark from every single wire was jumping from the boot down over the porclin down the the part of the plug that screws into the head!!!
Its pretty strange looking kinda like my plugs are glowing!!!!:nono:

I then tried a old plug&wire on #1 just to see if they were doing it too and they in fact were doing the same thing...So I guess I got new plugs/wires for nothing:thumbup: :rolleyes: :smash:

Guys any ideas here why I jumping spark from the plug boots to the head/part of plug that screws into head??? Im running a MSD6AL, mallory unilite dist and coil, MSD wires and a set of AC Delco 44 plugs. Seems like it should work well together;)

See less See more
#5 ·
What engine? sounds like a big gap.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#6 ·
355 chevy with iron bowtie phase II heads.
Seems with a mallory unilite, pro master coil, MSD6AL, and MSD plug wires I should be able to run the 45 gap... I have been running it for a long time without any problems even with the 10.5.1 compression:smash:

#7 ·
Try closing it to 35. 45 could be to much resistance.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#9 ·
Well the grease is a no go and dident help a thing but Im sure it will make pulling the wires off again a little more easy
Just more of the same pulsing light blue/white light from around the porcelain
part of the plug between the plug wire boot and head as well as that crappy feeling I get in my guts while the engine is missing no matter what RPM!

Makes me want to push the thing over a cliff:thumbup:

Yep they are the 8.5 wires....I will try closing the plug gap tomarrow and see if it helps.:( :mad: :drunk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.