Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help with steps between body work and Paint
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 09:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help with steps between body work and Paint

Hello All, I am finally getting close to paint on my 54 Chevy. I have the bodywork just about done and need some advise on what steps to take next.

The car is currently primed in lacquer primer (i know i'm stuck in the past) and I have been doing alot of reading on what I should seal with before paint.
I would like to block most of the lacquer off and shoot some 2k primer and probably block again. What grit would be good to block with before the 2k? I was thinking maybe something a little finer than 80, perhaps 120. Also, I see that using sealer doesn't seem neccesary with some of these new primers, do most of you stick with one product for priming and sealing?

The car will be SS Black Dupont Centari (again stuck in the 80s, i know). I like the 2k high build primer I saw on the SPI website, my local jobber carries Dupont, is there a comparable product made by them that any of you have used and would recommend?

Thanks for all the help in advance, I haven't done any type of body work since the early 90s and am a little(or alot) out of touch. Cesar