help with Stewart Warner Gauges - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 11:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

help with Stewart Warner Gauges

I picked up a set of old SW gauges in a chrome panel for my project. The oil pressure and water temp gauges have the socket in back for the light. The amp gauge does not. The panel has two bulb holders on the back positioned between the three gauges and the sides open to the sides of the gauges where they have slots in the case. I'm curious about how the lighting should work for these. The amp gauge has slots all around the perimeter on the back. The two with the bulb holders have small slots that line up with the bulb holders on the back side so it looks like light could go into the perimeter of those gauges as well, but I'm not sure. Obviously I could use the bulb holders in the back to light the two gauges, but what's the right way to light the amp gauge? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 01:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I would mount the amp gauge centered between the two bulbs mounted to the panel, then mount individual lights to the temp and pressure gauges.

The only thing I can imagine is the amp gauge might be effected by the close proximity of the bulb, were it to be mounted to the amp gauge like the other two.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

You could get away with the suggestion that cobalt has made. But you will need to wire those rear bulbs to get the Amp gauge lit.

I will say this the internal illuminated gauges will be much brighter when lit, so if you can stand the difference then I would do as cobalt has recommended, but you must wire the rear panel lights otherwise the Amp will be dark ........ or buy an Amp gauge with an internal bulb
Old 02-05-2011, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

I'm gonna try that. The amp gauge is on one end, so i'm going to move it to the center and try it. It only had two bulb sockets, so I'll have to get a third. I jsut love the old school look of these gauges and the mounting panel, so I want to make them work.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:23 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
I'm gonna try that. The amp gauge is on one end, so i'm going to move it to the center and try it. It only had two bulb sockets, so I'll have to get a third. I jsut love the old school look of these gauges and the mounting panel, so I want to make them work.
Sounds like you got a mixed bag of gauges in a universal mounting bracket that someone put together. The gauges came separate of the bracket panel and it was pick and choose which one's you put in the bracket. I would try the back lights between the gauges for uniform lighting of all three. I've used those before and one thing to watch for that I found annoying was light from the back shining down on the floor or dash from the back of the bracket unlike the bulbs that go inside the gauge itself. Something to consider while installing the cluster gauges in some locations on/in/under the dash.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Heres what I did: I put the ammeter in the center so it picked up light fron the two bulbs in the back of the gauge panel. A separate light in each if the back of each of the other two gauges. Works great. If anything, the ammeter in the center may be a little brighter even though it's indirectly lit. I'm going to play with covering up parts of the openings on the light boxes on the back of the panel to get the intensity equal.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.