Help with timing! I'm Electrically Challenged - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help with timing! I'm Electrically Challenged

I'm great with mechanical and suck with electrical. Planning ahead for when I start my 327 for the first time to break in the cam. I'm confused about setting initial timing. I'm reading it should be set at 12 - 14 degrees initial. When I start the car and take it to 2000 or 2500 rpm, do I start it and then disconnect the vacuum advance and set at that number at the break in rpm? Do I start it with the vacuum disconnected? Does it matter? Is there a way to get it close by setting the distributor to a certain position before starting it? Does anyone know of a step by step tutorial that explains how to do this? Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to screw it up. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Get a friend to help you when fireing this engine and breaking it in.
Get a friend to hold the throttle and rev the engine to 3500+rpm while you adjust the timing using a timing light. to ensure it is at max mechanical advance. Set the timing at 32-36deg BTDC while it is reving up.
rev it up, it may not fully max out until past 3500+ rpm.

Ignition timing is always set/adjusted with vacuum advance disconnected.

Then reconnect the vacuum advance and run the engine at 2500+++ rpm for 1/2 hour. (vary the rpm up and down, above 2500rpm) Be sure the rad is full of water/coolant and the engine gets plenty of air flow thru the rad to keep it cool.

avoid idling the engine for the break in. If it overheats or has other issues, noisey valve train etc shut it off and fix it. Then re start quickly and continue the run in.
Do not allow the engine to overheat.

I like this stuff in the oil for engine run in.

www.molyslip.com Moly slip E oil suplement.

Its a lot easer on you and your neighbors to do with the full exhaust system installed.

when installing the distributor turn the crank so it is 15deg BTDC on the compression stroke and drop the distributor in so the rotor points to the #1 spark plug wire on the cap. This gets you close so it will fire quickly.

Aftermarket timing pointers are never accurate. correct yours using a piston stop to find true TDC on the balancer.

36deg BTDC is 1/10th around the circumference of the balancer.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 04-22-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:36 AM

Just to add a little emphasis to F-bird 88s suggestions
- Definitely disconnect and plug the vacuum advance line.
- If you line the timing pointer up to about 12-14 degrees BTDC on the balancer and then drop the distributor in so that it is pointing to number one on the cap, you have a good approximation of the timing advance you need. It should at least be close enough to get it to run for the break-in.

When I broke in my last cam the engine started to run hot before I got through the suggested 30 minute break in. I just shut it down and restarted to complete the break-in after it cooled, and it worked fine.

Bruce
Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

Thanks. That's some very helpful stuff.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Quickest way I know is to put #1 on TDC compression stroke. Remove #1 plug and ground it. Connect the plug wire.
Bring your timing mark on the balancer to 14 or 16* BTDC, turn on the ignition switch, with the dist loose turn it until you see the plug fire. Snug up the dist cus it's close enough to run perfectly until the cam is broken in.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T
Quickest way I know is to put #1 on TDC compression stroke. Remove #1 plug and ground it. Connect the plug wire.
Bring your timing mark on the balancer to 14 or 16* BTDC, turn on the ignition switch, with the dist loose turn it until you see the plug fire. Snug up the dist cus it's close enough to run perfectly until the cam is broken in.
That sounds so simple even I shouild be able to handle it. Thanks!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.