Help!!!!!Timing problem?????? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 10:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help!!!!!Timing problem??????

OK I got a 74 Chevy 1500 350 4x4 I just replaced the timing chain and gears. I put it on acording to the directions I made sure i was a top dead center and aligned the marks on the gears up, put it all back together. pulled the cap off distributor and the rotar was pointing at 12oclock straight at my firewall. so i pulled the distributor out and turned the rotar till it was close to my number one spot and reinstalled it hooked up all my wires and tried to start it. it cranks fine but wont start it either backfires really loud or shoots a flane out of the top of the carb. ive tried rearranging the wires and moving the dirtrubutor but no luck im running out of ideas please help!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 11:07 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Take the #1 plug out, place your finger over the plug hole and have someone slowly turn the engine over (preferably with a socket on the crank bolt). Turn it until you feel the pressure stop. That will be close to TDC, at least good enough to get it started. Now remove the cap and see where the rotor is pointing. It should be pointing about 5:00, if not, remove the distributor and line it up. Firing order is 18436572
Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

On a SBC the timing chain sprocket marks line up with No 6 cylinder at
TDC compression thats why you are having the problems.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:18 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggpoppa1986
pulled the cap off distributor and the rotar was pointing at 12oclock straight at my firewall. so i pulled the distributor out and turned the rotar till it was close to my number one spot and reinstalled it
Had you left it alone, you'd have been fine- as said, when the timing marks are aligned closest to one another, #6 is firing.

Just reset the distributor by finding TDC #1 firing.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 PM

ok so move my harmonic balancer till its alinged with zero that should be TDC. then look where my rotar is pointing and atatch # 6 wire to it and continue clockwise with the firing order or do I have to pull the distrubitor out again.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 PM

timing

Quote:
ok so move my harmonic balancer till its alinged with zero that should be TDC. then look where my rotar is pointing and atatch # 6 wire to it and continue clockwise with the firing order or do I have to pull the distrubitor out again.
Noooooooo! finger in hole of #1 turn motor over till compression stroke pushes ur finger out.(make sure dizzy has no power tho) when it does push it out you can look at harmonic to see how close tdc is on the harmonic. then follow the firing order as said earlier. since you moved the wires around best to pull them off and start from scratch. while at tdc make sure the rotation of rotor for plug wire sequinc and then make sure rotor is pointing @ #1 if not pull the dizzy and reset it so it does. hook up pwr to coil and fire away!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:42 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
That will work- provided that you got it out exactly 180 when you first changed the firing order.

If you're sure, then just go to TDC. This will be either #6 or #1 firing. If the rotor is pointing at #1, you know that it SHOULD be #6, so wire the cap to reflect that fact. Same thing if it's pointing at #6- you now know it should be pointing to #1, so make that terminal the "new" #1, then wire the cap CW, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. No need to remove the distributor.

Or for that matter, forget TDC. Just pull the wires from the cap, making note of what terminal is NOW #6 and mark it as #1, then plug the wires back into the cap from this "new" #1.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:02 AM

timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
That will work- provided that you got it out exactly 180 when you first changed the firing order.

If you're sure, then just go to TDC. This will be either #6 or #1 firing. If the rotor is pointing at #1, you know that it SHOULD be #6, so wire the cap to reflect that fact. Same thing if it's pointing at #6- you now know it should be pointing to #1, so make that terminal the "new" #1, then wire the cap CW, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. No need to remove the distributor.

Or for that matter, forget TDC. Just pull the wires from the cap, making note of what terminal is NOW #6 and mark it as #1, then plug the wires back into the cap from this "new" #1.
yeah what he said too! lol! your way is faster and easier as long as he doesnt get confused about rotor not pointing at #1.... but ur method will work real well too!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:53 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68stang73
yeah what he said too! lol! your way is faster and easier as long as he doesnt get confused about rotor not pointing at #1.... but ur method will work real well too!
I was typing as you were posting, same basic deal, though!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.