Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - HELP! very stange metal on metal upper bushings on a chevelle, is this factory?
View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2004, 07:44 PM
younguyw/oldcrap younguyw/oldcrap is offline
New Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: T.O.
Posts: 22
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HELP! very stange metal on metal upper bushings on a chevelle, is this factory?

ok, im not the most experianced one around, but i can say iv never seen this, and i cant even find anything resembling it online, so here it goes

i went to replace the upper control arm bushings on my 64 chevelle today, and i thought they looked odd, but i had no idea untill i got into it. your standard upper control arm shaft has to machined ends, with a threaded holt for a bolt, or a threaded end for a nut, usally somthing small like 9/16 or so. the bushings are rubber, with a metal sleeve in the center, covered by a metal tube, usually with a flange. not mine, they have ver large, over one inch hex head peices that have a grease fitting in the center, and have dullish large threads on the outside, and coarser threads on the inside, and they thread onto the control arm, which is threaded and onto the shafe, which is slightly shorter then an average shaft, and has no smooth surface, but big coarse threads. and the whole setup pivots on the inner threads, this is messed!

what do i do? i have a new shaft kit, and this is fine and dandy, but the regualr rubber bushings will not go into the control arm, the hole is too small, and its threaded, if i reamed or drilled the hole to be the right size, it looks like there would be no hole, well, the important part of the hole that sticks out like a tube would be gone, this wouldnt work

are replacement bushings available for this stuff? is this some type of aftermarket junk from the 70's? the control arms looks stock, they have the same grease and rust patterns as the rest of the car. please help!!
Reply With Quote