Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help with Vortec Heads...please!!
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 03:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Reworked S/R Torquers?! You still need the baseplate and those heads will cost just as much as vortecs.

You gotta pay to play. How much you want to play? Why would you even bother with a 305 TPI? You could probably get a whole 350 TPI for a couple of hundred. What are you looking for, torque or hp? TPI is all about torque.
If you must stick with a 305 then....Stock vortecs will handle a cam like a Comp XE 256. Want more cam? Then get the valve guide boss cutters that will allow more lift. Pick a pair of vortecs up at the local yard for $200, get your vortec TPI base, and your cam and lifters for $150 and you will have gained 40 horses and torque down low for $800 (or less if you shop smartly, scoggin dickey has the price for baseplate at $399, now you're at $750). Cheap for the gains you make.
Local junk yards have NO vortecs. E-bay is the next place, but thats about $400. I can get a set, worked for $700.00 with beehives, guide plates, machined for .600 lift, ls1 style valves.. NEW! I was told NOT to cut them down to 58cc chamber, because it would alter the chambers too much. IS THIS TRUE? I know about paying to play. I play for a living. Just wanted to know if anyone had some cheaper alternatives. thanks.