help w SBC or bbc implant - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

help w SBC or bbc implant

Hey im new and have a question i have a 84 Gmc short box with a 88 tbi 350 out of a truck it has about 200 000 on it and the problim is started burning oil the othere day and today my oil pressure drops to almost 0 need a little help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Then I would say it's rebuild time.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 PM

Im thinking the same but the thought is sbc or bbc just trying to weighing the pros and cons of it all.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Not trying to be snarky here but I noticed your thread post said simply "Help". Not too many responses, I edited the thread so we can get some feedback for you. Clarity in the title helps.

My opinion: Do a little research on a good small block. Jegs, Summit, Goodwrench have some good crate motors, probably cheaper than what you would pay to get your engine rebuilt. Your accessories (alternator, power steering, etc.) will bolt up without going through the hassle of finding new brackets, hoses, whatevers...a simple bolt in, plug in and play. How much horsepower you want is only limited by your pocketbook. I didn't notice your location but if you need to play by the smog rules, be careful. Dan
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM

"Jeg's, Summit, Goodwrench crate motors..." Yes, probably cheaper. You get what you pay for. While a "custom" engine may cost a little more and you have to "wait", it will blow the DOORS off the craters and usually use less fuel and last longer. So, which is more important? That should be the decision "maker". And yes, this statement is being made by a machinist that builds some of these "custom" engines. Take it FWIW.

BBC? Do you want "big" power? Lots of torque and low-speed power? Use the big block. Old sayting: "Never send a boy to do a MAN'S job..." If under 400 lbs. of torque and higher revs are what you want, the small block is where you should go. A high quality rebuild on your 350 runs around $3K. The big block will be significantly more money (nothing RARE about big blocks, just expensive for parts). Again, you get what you pay for. BBC may be the best/most versitile powerplant ever made for automotive applications. The single biggest drawback is the sheer weight. For high-revvers, lots of attention needs to be paid to the valve train.

Jim
Old 02-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Ty dinger the mane idea is daily driver and just thinking if i want to use the truck as a hauler or weekend track truck i think im leaning towards a 383 stroker for the low end grunt and high rev any feed back is welcome Just remember on a budget
Old 02-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,012 Times in 848 Posts
Budget truck motor, yep....go to this site....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...m_combinations
and see this post....
355 Gen I Chevy street motor, budget build....
Old 02-22-2012, 05:38 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

If you're money coscious, and on a budget forget a 383 stroker. Most stroker kits to fit a 350 will run around $1400-$1500, and then you need a good 350, plus the rest the parts to finish it off.
I'd either find a good running 454 and do the swap, or replace/rebuild a 350.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 PM

I can get my hands on a 454 with a 400 turbo for under 500 the eng and trans came out of a 74 or 76 gmc dually they both need a rebuiled so question is what am i looking for cost of a rebuiled
Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

At almost $4.00 a gallon for gas do you reallly want a big block? At best about 10 mpgs. I would have someone pull the motor you have and take it to a machine shop and have it rebuilt.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM

Im in southern ont so its about a 126. a Litre . i also dont know if my block is a 4 bolt main or a2 bolt. i cant see any casting numbers on the back of the block so not sure where else to look
Ty for every peace of input it is taken greatly
Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body
"Jeg's, Summit, Goodwrench crate motors..." Yes, probably cheaper. You get what you pay for. While a "custom" engine may cost a little more and you have to "wait", it will blow the DOORS off the craters and usually use less fuel and last longer. So, which is more important? That should be the decision "maker". And yes, this statement is being made by a machinist that builds some of these "custom" engines. Take it FWIW.

BBC? Do you want "big" power? Lots of torque and low-speed power? Use the big block. Old sayting: "Never send a boy to do a MAN'S job..." If under 400 lbs. of torque and higher revs are what you want, the small block is where you should go. A high quality rebuild on your 350 runs around $3K. The big block will be significantly more money (nothing RARE about big blocks, just expensive for parts). Again, you get what you pay for. BBC may be the best/most versitile powerplant ever made for automotive applications. The single biggest drawback is the sheer weight. For high-revvers, lots of attention needs to be paid to the valve train.

Jim
not to piss on your grapenuts, but
g.m. sells a vortec headed, rooler cam, ALL NEW PARTS, 350 for 1990.00
with 9.4 to 1 compression (so lets call it 9 to 1 as it's not bluebrinted)
and will go 200k miles easy.. and 320 hp easy ..
big block in a truck unless you are towing, or a weekend toy, is a total waste. as you'll never get the power to the ground.. without tons of money spent.. and at 4.oo a gallon plus.. not worth it.. unless you need the low end to tow something..
Old 02-26-2012, 06:43 PM

Ok so thats it i can get my hands on the sbc or bbc they both need R&R, but didnt my truck come with both sbc and bbc. As for gas whats the difrence as soon as u stroke a sbc to almost a stock R&R on bbc with a little top-end work.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:47 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskool chevy
Ok so thats it i can get my hands on the sbc or bbc they both need R&R, but didnt my truck come with both sbc and bbc. As for gas whats the difrence as soon as u stroke a sbc to almost a stock R&R on bbc with a little top-end work.
Ummm, what did you say? You lost me after "Ok".....
Old 02-26-2012, 07:01 PM

i asked what did my truck come with (84 c15 ) and i asked when it comes down to gas price what is the difference with a built sbc to a bbc because i can get the 350 or the 454 that both need R&R

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.