Help welding- begginer trying to weld 22gauge steel - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
I've never heard of the JW Harris 20 ga. welding wire. I'm sure it was nothing special you can't already easily find..

You may have never heard of it bit I assure you it most certainly was special and very different and there are no easily found equivalents! This wire was the cat's meow for body work or other thin metal but the manufacturer did an extremely poor job of marketing it which I think was the main reason for it's demise, that and it was rather pricey which made it unattractive to large manufacturers. They had pretty good web site info at the time but apparently did little or nothing to educate their distributors and I have even seen it lumped in with the flux core wires on the shelf at the welding supply, then there was that confusing and just plain stupid name! The "Twenty Gauge" name referred to Twenty Gauge shotgun (pictured on the label) due to the tiny metal pellets inside the tubular "wire" and had nothing to do with wire size! They failed to point this out and even a lot of dealers thought it had something to do with a 20 ga. wire size, which it did not, and the fact the .030 used even less current and was less likely to burn though than .023 solid wire just sort of got lost. Basically the wire was not promoted enough and was a poor seller due to misunderstanding of the concept and just plain confusion, as far as how well it worked it was fantastic to say the least! Maybe someday someone will realize what they had and it will make it back into the market but if does they need to do a better job of explaining just what the stuff is and how it's to be used, it is different than anything else out there and so far I have not seen anything even close to it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Very interesting. Thanks for the info!

It's surprising all the good products that have gone the way of the dodo bird by either bad marketing or a poorly chosen name.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:21 PM

Last journal entry: getting started
Last photo:

Thanks!

Just a note, since I high jacked an old thread after doing a search. I am using gas on my machine and spot welding. I was just looking for some easier ways to get things done and better products to use. I will move forward with what I have... time and patience grasshopper.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.