Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help welding- begginer trying to weld 22gauge steel
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
I've never heard of the JW Harris 20 ga. welding wire. I'm sure it was nothing special you can't already easily find..

You may have never heard of it bit I assure you it most certainly was special and very different and there are no easily found equivalents! This wire was the cat's meow for body work or other thin metal but the manufacturer did an extremely poor job of marketing it which I think was the main reason for it's demise, that and it was rather pricey which made it unattractive to large manufacturers. They had pretty good web site info at the time but apparently did little or nothing to educate their distributors and I have even seen it lumped in with the flux core wires on the shelf at the welding supply, then there was that confusing and just plain stupid name! The "Twenty Gauge" name referred to Twenty Gauge shotgun (pictured on the label) due to the tiny metal pellets inside the tubular "wire" and had nothing to do with wire size! They failed to point this out and even a lot of dealers thought it had something to do with a 20 ga. wire size, which it did not, and the fact the .030 used even less current and was less likely to burn though than .023 solid wire just sort of got lost. Basically the wire was not promoted enough and was a poor seller due to misunderstanding of the concept and just plain confusion, as far as how well it worked it was fantastic to say the least! Maybe someday someone will realize what they had and it will make it back into the market but if does they need to do a better job of explaining just what the stuff is and how it's to be used, it is different than anything else out there and so far I have not seen anything even close to it.