Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help welding- begginer trying to weld 22gauge steel
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 04:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

is there anything i can do without converting anything? Is there a wire that will work with my electric welder that will be more friendy to what i am doing? I am soo new to this it isnt even funny i appreciate all of your guys help! Next step is havin one of you guys come show me how it done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
First let's point out THERE IS NO SUCH THING as a gas-less MIG, If it is not set up for gas then it is a flux core welder and NOT a MIG (M-etal I-nert G-as). Get a conversion kit for gas and convert that thing to MIG and forget about trying to weld the 22 gauge with flux core wire, after you use MIG wire you will see why. 61 Bone is right the Harris Twenty gauge wire is far Superior to solid MIG wires for something that thin and would be well worth the effort to locate some. The part no. for a 10 # spool is TGE5 and to avoid confusion that Twenty (NOT 20) gauge name is just that, the name of the wire and it does not refer to the size of anything. If you do use solid then go for .023 but the Twenty Gauge .030 will be a lot easier to use and because it is a cored wire it uses even less current in that size as the smaller solid wire.

The Twenty Gauge is a "cored" wire but not a "gas-less" wire and requires the same C25 gas as the solid wire, also the polarity must be switched when using gas on either solid or Twenty Gauge.