Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Help with the wet sand
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 PM
What Dads Do For Daughters

Last journal entry: Base coat is finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Matt

It is Matt right, I started in on this one last fall. The prvious owner started restoration, but ground the side studs off where a strip of chrome was (many volvo owners are doing this for looks). Apparently, it warped some metal, but my brother fixed all that weeks ago..
I had my brother come in and help, but we had some problems that can'r be resolved, so....
He primered and wet sanded a few times, and guide coated it this last time, so I see like three places that the guide coat specks barely sanded, but did sand when he straight sticked and wet primered. He has the whole car 95% primered.
The trunk was never primered. After I sanded the whole car where there would be bondo filler, I remember him saying that you always clean before you so something ...with the wax grease remover. Even the Bondo.
Now..in my opinion....the car is straight.He did great on that I have looked at it under different angles of lighting etc...so the body is fine. I have about 1/5 of a can of primer left and only a few spots, the trunk lid and of course after all this is done...I will have under the hood (which is only needing a scruff with scotch bright and a few interior spots. I know not to do these(hood.trunk) until after i paint(seperate because of the contaminants, still needs sanding.)
So...at this point the car itself is smooth as a babies ***....except the trunk which he had just sticked down with his 40 grit over a location that was over a foot wide.. I am curious as to if I just clean it with the wax grease remover and I can practice on it with the gun (after I practice on the junk trunk lid that is off another car.? I think I can do this..I know I can. I just want to be 100% sure of what to do next. Tomorrow I will clean it down, touch up the spray and give the trunk its first coat. I most likely will need more primer, but he said we had enough...so...we will see.
I just bought brand new guns(my daughter did)...a kit of 3. Cleaning the gun is important, I know. What would help me in all this is someone giving me an idea as to how long can the primer sit in the gun. And what cleaner i use on it?
I will go visit your project. I am working on loading some of our pics . How do I start a project file?

I

Last edited by 65AmazonforDestiny; 08-21-2009 at 08:24 PM.