Hot Rod Forum banner

help wetsanding metallic paint??

21K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  lets cut it up 
#1 ·
sup everyone.. great board, very informative but i have one question to ask all the pros.. i have shot my car with ICI acrylic enamel (which happens to be Lexus Graphite Grey Pearl) the paint has small metallic sparkles in it. but my problem is i have some dust trapped in the finish.. i was told to wetsand it out and buff it... but i was told by another friend that in the one stage paint, the metallic flake will be sanded out .. is this true?/

thanks

ben

#6 ·
Well, noone has mentioned that if you sand single stage metallic paint when you sand it the metallic pattern will be disturbed and will show when you buff it out. If you are going to sand it, you want to be very careful and only sand out the dust. I have found when trying to sand single stage metallic, it looked terrible and I had to redo it. That is why I went to two stage. Lesson learned the hard way.

Chris

#7 ·
Yep, you got to be careful sanding metallics. The courser the flake the more careful you have to be. The finer the flake the more you can sand.

Troy:nono:

#9 ·
pearl blues

Im spraying a ss pearl white which i will clearcoat, and was also wondering if it would be ok to wetsand with 1500 before putting on the cc. there doesnt seem to be a lot ot pearl to it if any at all. or should i wetsand then reshoot color and hope it comes out smooth then cc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.