Help! what frame to put under a chevy 1 1/2 ton truck? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 02:11 AM
Riley

Last journal entry: 1927 international
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help! what frame to put under a chevy 1 1/2 ton truck?

This is my first build. Pour old truck is more rust than a builder. Anyway...I want to know if anybody out there can tell me what modern(ish) day frame would slip up underneath this 1930 1 1/2 ton chevy flat bed cab and fenders that I have. I meaaaan, I COULD go looking around..but if somebody out there allready knows it sure would save me some time. My main problem is the track width. I measured 56 inches from center of front wheel to center of front wheel. My main concern is finding some frame with a front wheel base that is close to that. incodentally the rear of the truck frame from outside to out side was 37 inches and the front of the truck frame was 27 inches. The truck has those Johnboy walton fenders and running boards on it. I'm thinking I am going to have to do some helacous sheetmetal and fabricating work to make them look right on another frame. I would sorta like to keep the frame that's under the truck but I have two problems. #1. the old lady is ALL READY wanting it out of here,so I have got to move fast, and #2. I'm working with a REAL LIFE budget...meaning going cheap all the way, besides..I just want a rat rod anyway. You know,something loud and with gears that will turn some heads. Another thing...the truck has 16 inch wheels on it. I am assuming that whatever newer frame that goes under it should have at least 15's on it,right? Also, I was thinking about using a 1979 ford mustang frame,because I know where to get one right now cheap with working driveline,but those cars are only unibody aren't they? meaning no frame,right? another idea was a chevy luv..but I'm betting that that's a bit too narrow. I am wondering about an S-10 blazer frame cause I know where to get one of those cheap too. Well guys...I really need some help here. The old lady is allready mad at me,and I just want a rat rod. And so I need to get started quick. Is there anybody out there that can give me their two cents as to what frame I should use concidering the fender issue? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

p.s....if anybody out there wants that old frame and driveline get with me on it. Otherwise it goes on ebay soon. Somebody SOMEwhere could use it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2008, 05:43 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Get rid of the "old lady"

Just kidding; You already did a good job on finding out the 2 BIG problems. The first is that if you want those fenders, there is NO donor frame that will work. I have seen a few 1928 to 1932 trucks and cars that people have done a "wrong frame", and it looks absolutely horrible up at the front.

The 2nd problem is that the 1-1/2 ton fenders have a huge diameter wheel well, and any smaller tire will look pretty bad.

If you are in this truck pretty cheap, I'd try to sell off that heavy channel frame & parts as well as the fenders. You can then build a rectangular tubing frame similar in design to a T bucket, and use cycle type fenders on the front like the American Graffitti coupe has. I just can't see how to use those huge fenders. Frame swap to make it easy? No, it won't look right or fit right, the cab is too narrow.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Riley

Last photo:

needin' donor frame to fit a 1 1/2 ton chevy truck.

Thanks for the reply. I definately need a donor frame,just which one? A regular sized chevy truck frame would make the cab look sh**ty sitting on it because the cab is too narrow. It's in such bad shape I DID think about just slicing the cab straight down the middle and then widening it to fit the newer truck frame and then just fill back in with sheet metal,angle iron and bondo. Then just cut the fenders to fit,maybe lower or raise them to get a fit. But then you STILL have the issue of the radiator..the original frame is narrow up front. Newer model chevy truck frames (say something between 1975 and 1990) are wider. Sitting that radiator up front would make it kinda look out or place. Your idea of using tubed framing doesn't sound like going "on the cheap". Even if I did you didn't say what to put under it for a front end AND one that would work with the 1930 radiator mock up.

Hey anybody! what about using a mustang front clip under it? Or does anybody know if a S-10 frame would fit If I grafted the fenders in? I do have a runnin 1975 3/4 ton chevy truck to work with...any ideas there. Any replies would be helpful I'm sure.

F&J thanks for your imput. Got anything further, like what front end or anything?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Cheap is not an operative term here..Nothing late model is going to fit under that cab..Sooo order a front axle and springs from Speedway or TCI and find a suitable rear end somewhere and get some square tubing and roll your own..

Can;t help you with the woman issue..

Sam
Old 06-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Riley

Last photo:

changed my mind. keepin frame. Now lookin for hubs that will work.

I talked to someone. He said that if I'd do some lookin there is probably some outfit out there that makes a replacement hub for that 1930 1 1/2 ton chevy truck that will work. That or find someone who could tell me what allready produced hub WILL fit the (front) spindle. Any ideas?

Also..I found a 1979 (or 1980) ford mustang with a 302 with 5 speed,edelbrock intake and holloy 4 barrel and headers also has a positrack rear end. I'm now planning to use that drive train in the 1930.I got it for 400 dollers from a lady who wanted to move RIGHT THEN and she wanted it sold right away. Then some guy drove up too late,we talked,and I sold him the windsheild and the doors for 225.00! So I got a runnin drive line and extra electrical parts and pieces for the swap over all for the low low price of 175.00! AND I still will make some money off of the scrap iron that's left over. Cool huh?

ANY IDEAS AS TO WHAT FRONT HUBS TO BOLT UP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!! THANKS!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

frame

I would consider cutting the frame at the firewall and replace with another that has all the goodies,disc brakes and all around 200.00
Old 02-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

It's so much easier to do like a few others here has told you.Buy a front end from speedyway and buy some tubing,And build your own.So much easier.. Them trucks don't look good with a-arms under them.Get a straight axle with the disc brakes.About $1,200 for the front end.Good luck...

Put your money where it's most important,the frame,and brakes.You won't be sorry.You can cut corners on other things.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:05 PM

brakes first

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
It's so much easier to do like a few others here has told you.Buy a front end from speedyway and buy some tubing,And build your own.So much easier.. Them trucks don't look good with a-arms under them.Get a straight axle with the disc brakes.About $1,200 for the front end.Good luck...

Put your money where it's most important,the frame,and brakes.You won't be sorry.You can cut corners on other things.
so true its one thing to to die from bad brakes but to kill someone else b real bad
Old 02-15-2009, 05:17 AM
Riley

Last photo:

frame/brakes

I bought a chevy truck front axle from I believe a 1941. It has shoe brakes but brakes just the same. I got the leaf springs too,so I am going to use those on this build...if I can ever find the time,gees. I'm not looking to spend a lot of doe on this build. I have everything I need to build it now.

One thing I was wondering about....I have a 1980 something power brake booster and assembley. Does anybody have an idea for a configuration as to how I can connect that thing under the floorboards and to the brake peddle linkage (which is also out of a ford mustang). The transmission is automatic if that matters.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 AM

booster

ididnt even know where mine was supposed to be mounted but i mounted my 89 camaro booster on the fire wall where i thought it should be" see my pics in your situation you shouldeither keep it all orig or change every componet in the system wich isnt very hard i dont recomend putting updated booster with old shoe system,but im a body and paint guy sooooo,some body will come up with something for ya
Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley
I bought a chevy truck front axle from I believe a 1941. It has shoe brakes but brakes just the same. I got the leaf springs too,so I am going to use those on this build...if I can ever find the time,gees. I'm not looking to spend a lot of doe on this build. I have everything I need to build it now.

One thing I was wondering about....I have a 1980 something power brake booster and assembley. Does anybody have an idea for a configuration as to how I can connect that thing under the floorboards and to the brake peddle linkage (which is also out of a ford mustang). The transmission is automatic if that matters.
It is cheap enough to buy the whole kit out of speedway.If you mount it under the truck,Remember you have to put RESIDUAL PRESSURE VALVE in the front and back brake lines. (Only if you mount it under the floor)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.