help... will turn over but not start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 02:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

help... will turn over but not start

I have a 62 Nova with a 350 chevy engine. I have replaced the ignition, ignition swicth, neutral safety switch, rotor, points, cap, condensor, new wires from starter to coil, coil to distributor, but its still not getting any spark.The coil is reading 3.7 volts. Help.....What am I missing?

Last edited by downdeuce; 04-29-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 03:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

jump the coil to 12v from the battery, if it starts up and runs, leave the key on, but remove the jumper from the battery, if it stays running, there is a problem with your bypass circut, if it dies, there is a problem with the ballast resistor or resistor wire whichever it has.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdeuce
I have a 62 Nova with a 350 chevy engine. I have replaced the ignition, ignition swicth, neutral safety switch, rotor, points, cap, condensor, new wires from starter to coil, coil to distributor, but its still not getting any spark.The coil is reading 3.7 volts. Help.....What am I missing?

Doc here,

If your only getting 3.7 volts at the coil, (and at that can I assume this is a points type ignition?) Your Coil is shorted....

For a Remote type coil (Points type) , pull the wires off the coil, Get your DVOM out, set it For OHMS, R X 1 Scale, Calibrated for "000", Measure the primary side of the coil.

The reading here Needs to be Less than an OHM, but MORE than "000", If it is MORE or Infinite (OL) , It's Bad, or Soon to be..Toss it..

Next Measure the Secondary, SET your SCALE for R X 10 K or higher, It Should Read, Between 10,000 and 11,000 OHMS Lower or higher ... Toss it, it bad .

IF you have an HEI, The testing is different, Remove the cap, invert it and get out your DVOM, Set it for OHMS, R X 1 Scale, Calibrated For "000",

Place one probe on the BATT terminal, the other on the TACH terminal, The reading here should be LESS than an OHM, But More than "000" .. Higher or lower, it's Bad..

Next Measure the secondary, Set your Scale for R X 20 K or Autorange, Measure between the BATT Terminal and the Carbon Element for the rotor pickup in the center of the cap , this reading should be between 6,000 ohms and 31,000 Ohms..less or more , toss it , it's bad..

Another Possibility Exists, IF you Installed an HEI, in a 1962 Body, Chances are your Ignition wire was set up for points type Ignition..

This being the case, It will have a Ballast resistor on it OR the Wire itself will be a resistance wire (some are cotton Clad and marked Resistor Wire Do not Cut) , IF this is the case, Remove the Wire OR Ballast resistor (Trust me on this, the resistor wire police won't be knocking on your door.. ) Hook it DIRECTLY to the Cap BATT terminal..

An HEI will not run with a Ballast resistor in line..Or run like Crap in a can...If you want to test the theory before surgically altering your harness, just run a jumper from the BATTERY + to the BATT terminal on the cap, Crank it, it should start and run..To shut it off, you need to pull the jumper..the Ignition is bypassed ..

If it starts and runs, Remove the Ballast, and run a 10 Gauge wire in it's place.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.