Help with wipers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 01:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Help with wipers

I hope someone can awnser this for me. I have a 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL. My winshi;d wiper switch is not working properly, and afetr takeing it to a mechanic he wanted $240.00 to replace the combination switch that operates them at different speeds, as well as some other functions the switch does.

Being an amputee and onb Disability I cannot afford that much money and still live financially. So, I wondered if instaed of haveing that switch replaced when it works everything else fine, would it be possible to just wire my winshild wiper motor to a toggle switch even if its just possible at one speed.

It looks like that could be done to me a lot cheaper than $240.00 when every function of that combinatiopn switch works everything else, except the wipers.

Would it not just be a matter of finding the hot wire on the winshild wiper motor and taking it to the toggle switch, and then supplying a ground of some sort? I may be wrong in thinking this can be done but if it can it would sacve me a lot of money, and also inspection day is coming up in several months.

I don't see why I would have to replace that whole switch that has every othert function working except the wiper, when I could possibly use a toggle switch to operate the wiper motor is it is even just at one speed.

What say you??????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

ok, you are able to get in and out of the car Right? So go to the Auto parts store and get the proper switch and install it yourself. this will save you at the least $100 or maybe more! if you can not do this yourself , i am sure you can get someone to help you. This is a plug & play Job. You are making it a lot harder to do it the way you want with a toggle switch .
Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Junk Yard..... 20 bucks, couple hours of your time with help from a friend...... priceless. Toggle switch would be more work than replacing the switch.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

Rock Auto sells an AC-Delco switch for that for $110.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:10 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

In Pa.

It may be true that the mechanic that looked at this has determined that the switch is bad.
But it's possible that some other problem exists like a blown fuse. It could something simple.
It may be a good idea to try another mechanic just to be sure it is a bad switch.
The washers are part of this system. The washers must work also to pass inspection. In Pa.

vicrod
Old 03-24-2013, 09:35 PM

Wiper Help

Thanks soooo much for your suggestions. I can drive after I get myself in the car, but I have sooo many other issues, I may be able to drive, but I can't do a whole lot of energy usesing task. I also have COPD, and Iam on oxygen 24/7. I use the portable Oxygen concentrator when Iam out in public, and I have a large one at home. I absolutely despise useing the oxygen, but I like to breathe.

The most concerning issue I have is I have been told I would have to pull the steering Wheel in order to do this. And was also told it was tricky to get everything back in place right after you pulled it.

I didn't know actually, but I really thought that if you could find the correct wire that comes from the Wiper Motor, you wouldn't have to use but one wire coming from that, and one wire for a ground. Just one speed, flip it on and flip it off. So you think that would be that hard comparing it to the installion of a new switch?

The only way this switch that is on there now malfunctuions is even though I can get the wipers to work by rotating the knob on the switch, but I have to gently pull downward on the turn signal arm just barely enough to allow the wipers to wipe, but not enough to make the left turn signal to come on. I know it sounds complicated, but thats what I have been trying to do.

I have until October to get something going before I have to have the car inspected. Its a really nice Cutlass Supreme. It looks great and drives great. I paid $1500.00 for it 7 years ago, and still driving it. I have had to do a couple small repairs , but I was in the right place at the right time.

Thanks again all, and I hope we all become friends. I don't get to get out much anymore except a store visit or church, and I enjoy talking to folks about things like this. I see already there are some really nice autos here.

I live alone here in North Carolina with my little Shi Tzu Miss Angel. I tried to get her to help me with it, but she just cocked her head to the side like she didn't understand me. Ha Ha. She is just like my kid though.

Don

Last edited by lonesomedove51; 03-24-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 AM

Last photo:

Maybe you should get another opinion on it from someone else. Shouldn't take that long to replace just the switch in the column with the correct tools. An hour should do it I would think. If you know someone who is a backyard tinkerer he could maybe pick one up at the wrecker and put it in.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 AM

I looked at a similar problem on a friends car (a Pontiac), and it turned out to be the wires that connect to the switch. When I looked carefully I could see the broken wires down inside the housing.

I was also surprised to find out that you had to pull the steering wheel to get the housing off the steering column. This is a lot of work just to replace a multi-function switch. On most cars the housing is made in two pieces.

You may be able to cut the housing in half with a dremel and remove it, which can be done without pulling the steering wheel. Then look at the switch and the wires. You may find that you don't need a switch.

However, if you do need a switch it should be easy to find a junkyard that will pull one for you. Some yards are online and will even mail it to you.

Bruce
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM

I don't think I would have any trouble finding one, but if the steering wheel has to be pulled, I don't know so much about that. Do any of you remember the old turn Signal Switches they used to have years and years ago? If I remember right it was a box type looking switch that just sort of starapped to the steering columb. I bet one of those would work for wipers as well.

I did have a thought that went through my mind, and that could be dangerous in itself. Ha Ha. I really wonder if I ran a wire from the fuse box where the fuse was labled Wiper, and had a ground and that wire coming from the fuse box where the Wiper fuse snapped in, and then connected those two wires to a regular toggle switch would you think it would work? For some reason it seems like it would. That might be a dumb thought, but I am not a mechanic. Iam a "Good ole boy", but it seems there is not much of a dmenad for those anymore. Ha Ha.

Don

Last edited by lonesomedove51; 03-25-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

I don't think wiring it that way would work. The power comes through the fuse to the switch first, and then to the wipers.

Just to give you an idea of the complexity of the wiring for your wiper/washer, take a look at the attached wiring diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 94 Olds wiper wiring.pdf (39.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:09 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

here goes

Glad Crownver posted the schematic. I couldn't find it anywhere.
Ok, you asked for it.
The motor is a 2 speed motor. If we apply 12volts to either the LO or the HI terminal. It should run in HIGH speed or LOW speed.
The wiring connector to the existing switch must be disconnected to do this.
Locate the white wire from the fuse block. Also locate the yellow wire on the wiper motor and cut it leaving enough wire for splicing. And locate the purple wire from the control switch.
Just to verify my thinking and before making any permanent wiring, connect the yellow wire to the white HOT wire. The wiper motor should run in low speed.
Then disconnect those wires and connect the white HOT wire to the purple wire. The motor should run in High speed.
If that doesn't work I'm wrong. There could be other problems. But if it does work continue.
Using a SPDT (single pole double throw) switch connect the center common terminal the white HOT wire. Then connect the yellow wire one of the other terminals. And connect the purple wire to remaining terminal.
This will not provide an automatic park feature. You will need to shut off the switch at the park position.
This will not provide washers.
Hope that helps.

vicrod
Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 AM

You can check out deals for AC-Delco switch online at Amazon too. You will find great deals and I just found that AC-Delco switch is available for a price $28.53. I donít think you will get such a reasonable price anywhere else.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM

Last photo:

I took a look on Amazon.com and the cheapest one I could find that would fit this car was
this this
one at $85. Cheaper for sure. I'm going with the numbers Rock Auto gives so fitment would have to be confirmed somehow.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.