Help with wiring an alt in a 50's era car? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 11:24 PM

Last journal entry: Original 365
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help with wiring an alt in a 50's era car?

The 57' Caddy I just picked up has an alternator just hanging out in the engine compartment. Not wired up and not bolted up right. These originally came with generators correct? So when wiring it up, this alt has the main charge wire, and the two prong flat blade plug. If I remember right, arent these two wires at the plug a field wire and an exciter wire? Where would I wire these up in a car that originally came with a generator?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 10:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by K and K
The 57' Caddy I just picked up has an alternator just hanging out in the engine compartment. Not wired up and not bolted up right. These originally came with generators correct? So when wiring it up, this alt has the main charge wire, and the two prong flat blade plug. If I remember right, arent these two wires at the plug a field wire and an exciter wire? Where would I wire these up in a car that originally came with a generator?
Thank you
I recently did this swap on my 62 Olds. The first question is, what alternator do you have - internal or external regulator. You want one with an internal regulator, which will have a plug that looks like this:

If so, then the red wire from the plug and the large red wire from the threaded BATT post on the alternator both go to the terminal post on the car. This will likely be on the horn relay. The brown wire from the alternator plug goes to the brown wire to the GEN light on the dash. This wire should be connected to the voltage regulator from the generator if it's still there. That's all there is to it. Just mount the alternator properly and get the right belt and you're good to go.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

I have the internal regulated alt. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I will check now when I get of in the morning. Just to verify, the red wire from the two wire plug and the red charge wire from the back of the alt both meet up together? Incase the wires at the two wire plug are not color coded properly, is there a leter or identifier next to the prong of the wire on yours that goes either with the charge wire or to the gen light?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by K and K
I have the internal regulated alt. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I will check now when I get of in the morning. Just to verify, the red wire from the two wire plug and the red charge wire from the back of the alt both meet up together?
Correct. The small red wire from the connector is supposed to run all the way back to the junction block to properly sense voltage drop, but many folks just run it to the threaded BATT post on the alternator itself for simplicity. It will work this way.

Quote:
Incase the wires at the two wire plug are not color coded properly, is there a leter or identifier next to the prong of the wire on yours that goes either with the charge wire or to the gen light?
The alternator case should be marked #1 and #2. #1 is the brown wire to the GEN light, #2 is the red wire.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

I wired it up and charging great! Thanks!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.