Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/off-topic/)
-   -   Helped a young guy out last night. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/helped-young-guy-out-last-night-225967.html)

redlightning 11-11-2012 10:30 AM

Helped a young guy out last night.

............I had some 93 firebird wheels and tires listed online.I am cleaning up my shop and did not need them.So for a quick sale I listed them for 75$.
A guy emailed me and offered 40$.I said I would take 50$
Then he ask me to meet him half way to pick them up (about a half hour drive)
I was thinking to my self,heck no he is getting a great deal and now he wants me drive.
Well before I responded,my wife text me from work and said we needed to pick up her new glasses (in his town,we live in a small town)
So, I did email the guy and told him I could bring them with us.He ask if I could bring them to his work,Dairy Queen.I said yes.
As my wife and I were driving,I told my wife if this is a good hard working kid and has good grades in college.I will just give him the wheels and tires.
I show up at DQ and three young guys were busting there butts to get orders out.
He came out from behind the counter and I ask him what his major is in and what his grades were.He told me engineering and so far I have A,s sir.(that is right he said sir)

I told him he did not owe me anything.He said ,I have money ,and i told him to help someone else out sometime.
He later sent me a text saying that he had been praying from some wheels and tires and what that meant to him............I feel great.God is awesome!

(sorry if I mispelled anything,I do not see the spell check when I posted?)

MARTINSR 11-11-2012 10:34 AM

THAT is the right thing to do, good for you and hopefully others like myself will think of this stuff more often. It's not like that $50 is going to change YOUR life, but those free rims and tires could change his, very cool.

Brian

blwn31 11-11-2012 10:39 AM

Redlightning, good for you. I'm sure this kid will return the favor someday. Nothing like a respectful young man working towards a goal. This young man will never forget what you have done for him. You have my gratitude.

Keith

LATECH 11-11-2012 11:09 AM

Thank you lightning, for giving the young man a HAND UP.
You are a stand up guy.:thumbup:

God helps those who help themselves, so they can help others along the way.:D

geezer69 11-11-2012 11:35 AM

i got a young man just down the road a bit. a fing young feller. ive got a lot of buildin material here. hes redoin his home inside. he saw the big stack of 2x10 and asked if he could buy a few. i gave him what he needed. that young man couldnt believe it. he told me if i ever need a hand to call him. i wont but it good to know i could. sometimes a good dead is worth way more than a few bucks. it does feel good to help them that are tryin to have somethin." Try "is my favorite quality in a man.

wretched ratchet 11-12-2012 06:09 AM

Redlightning - - - that was a very Cool thing to do for a young man that shares our hobby. I'm sure that a lot of us have done similar things throughout our lives. We were the richer for having done these kinds of things and I'm sure you are also so get ready to be blessed !
Em

AutoGear 11-13-2012 07:21 AM

Call him anyway. As a young guy myself (31 today); I'm always happy to help and learn. You might make a new friend. I know what my dad would say 'Eh he'll just slow me down' To which I respond 'His back is half as old as yours and he wants to'

Quote:

Originally Posted by geezer69 (Post 1609943)
hes redoin his home inside. he saw the big stack of 2x10 and asked if he could buy a few. i gave him what he needed. that young man couldnt believe it. he told me if i ever need a hand to call him. i wont but it good to know i could.

Valkyrie5.7 11-13-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoGear (Post 1610644)
Call him anyway. As a young guy myself (31 today); I'm always happy to help and learn. You might make a new friend. I know what my dad would say 'Eh he'll just slow me down' To which I respond 'His back is half as old as yours and he wants to'

Good on you Red for helping out a young hotbrodder. I don't know if I'd be as deep in my project without all the help I've gotten.

And Happy Birthday Autogear. 31, huh? I always told myself I wouldn't make it to 30 :D

boatbob2 11-13-2012 09:01 AM

Helping hand....

A few months ago,i was coming back from my buddies house,with me towing my empty motorcycle trailer,i seen a guy and gal on the side of I-75 with a harley,so i stopped,he had a rubber band Harley( drive belt) caught a rock and broke,we loaded his Harley,and i drove him about 70 miles to Ocala,Fla HD dealer for repair. ive been helped a few times myself,it was my pay back time.:):)

27Tall T 11-13-2012 09:28 PM

:welcome:Always pay it forward, you never know........

bullheimer 11-13-2012 10:17 PM

hope you still gotta free cone!

geezer69 11-14-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoGear (Post 1610644)

never thought of it like that.im kinda old myself. that young strong back would be nice. hahaha. i'll think it over. hes just down the street.got a little family comin along nicely too. my head is hard as any rock. ive never asked anybody to help me do anything.not that i can remember anyway. i just have my own project to piddle with now. just somethin to keep me busy. i mite call him one day.a new friend wouldnt hurt at all. hahaha ..i guess its my move.

John long 11-14-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightning (Post 1609900)
............I had some 93 firebird wheels and tires listed online.I am cleaning up my shop and did not need them.So for a quick sale I listed them for 75$.
A guy emailed me and offered 40$.I said I would take 50$
Then he ask me to meet him half way to pick them up (about a half hour drive)
I was thinking to my self,heck no he is getting a great deal and now he wants me drive.
Well before I responded,my wife text me from work and said we needed to pick up her new glasses (in his town,we live in a small town)
So, I did email the guy and told him I could bring them with us.He ask if I could bring them to his work,Dairy Queen.I said yes.
As my wife and I were driving,I told my wife if this is a good hard working kid and has good grades in college.I will just give him the wheels and tires.
I show up at DQ and three young guys were busting there butts to get orders out.
He came out from behind the counter and I ask him what his major is in and what his grades were.He told me engineering and so far I have A,s sir.(that is right he said sir)

I told him he did not owe me anything.He said ,I have money ,and i told him to help someone else out sometime.
He later sent me a text saying that he had been praying from some wheels and tires and what that meant to him............I feel great.God is awesome!

What an awesome story. You have brought tears to my eyes. What a shame that more people don't know the joy and peace that comes from a relationship with The Lord. Thanks for posting Redlightning.

Bad Rat 11-15-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geezer69 (Post 1611020)
never thought of it like that.im kinda old myself. that young strong back would be nice. hahaha. i'll think it over. hes just down the street.got a little family comin along nicely too. my head is hard as any rock. ive never asked anybody to help me do anything.not that i can remember anyway. i just have my own project to piddle with now. just somethin to keep me busy. i mite call him one day.a new friend wouldnt hurt at all. hahaha ..i guess its my move.

Geeze , This might just be the perfect time to make a new friend and get a little help when you need it the most, I'd bet the young feller would appreciate any knowledge you could pass on,
I have a young kid ( probably 17-18yo )down the street that manages to stop and chat a little, has a huge interest in old cars, and asks thousands of questions, stops by when ever he sees the garage door open,

painted jester 11-15-2012 01:13 PM

1960s: My Old Club had cards printed! Whenever one of us helped some one out we would hand them a card! it said:

I saw you in need and gave you a hand from my heart! Think of this card when you see some one in need and pass it along !

Jester